1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Poll: Would you repair your favorite instrument, if it cost more than what you paid for it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DChalo, Dec 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX
    For me it's a no, but I haven't been playing enough for my bass to have a sentimental meaning/given to me by a deceased love one/been the only bass I could sound my best on.

What about you guys? Feel free to share any stories as to why that certain bass means so much to you

Eli V likes this.
  2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    for me, i guess it would depend. are we talking about the hundreds of the thousands? also my husband does all our lutherie work, so i might be able to get it fixed for the cost of the parts if parts were involved.

Eli V and bdplaid like this.
  3. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX
    AT LEAST as much as you paid for it. I know there are some people out there that are so emotionally attached to their instruments that they would be willing to shell out thousands to repair a bass that was in their life for decades or something like that

btmpancake likes this.
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    so would i have paid $200 for it years ago? $700? $1500? more? there's a big difference between spending more than $200 and more than $2500.

mindwell and Mike A like this.
  5. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX

....at least how much you paid for it. So if you paid 200, then at least 200. If you paid 700, then at least 700. If you paid 1500, then at least 1500. If you paid more, then at least more. Etc

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  6. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Depends. If the bass was still available, I'd probably buy a new one, but if not I might consider it.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If I bought a 1964 P bass in 1975 for $400, and it cost $400-500 to get it fixed today, then yes.

If I was gifted a bass from my now passed father in 1989 worth $500 then and it cost $500 to fix, then yes.

(None of these scenarios hold true for me. I was born in '71 and my father is still kicking.)

The point is, if the value of the bass had gone up a lot or it held sentimental value for me, sure. If I broke the neck of a standard issue Ibanez and it cost more to replace than a new one, then no, even if it was my first bass.

nerkoids, Gearhead17 and DChalo like this.
  8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Way too many variables in that question.

Is it my only bass, did it cost $100 or $3,0000, can I sell it, does it have sentimental value, is it a one of kind, is it a vintage bass, can it be replaced for the same amount of money, do I love it, is it my main bass, a backup bass, will fixing it make it as good as new, did I originally get a great deal on it, etc, etc, etc.

Is this a rhetorical question, or are you on the fence about fixing your bass? If the latter, you might want to post details.

MDBass, The Rage, Slinger and 2 others like this.
  9. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX
    It's more rhetorical. It's more the people that would go the extra mile to repair a broken bass I'm interested in. Like people who would pay a thousand bucks to repair something that they got as a gift for example. I'm just curious what drives their attachment to a certain instrument. I like hearing people's stories XD

10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Yup, I would.

TD

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

If it's my favourite instrument, price is irrelevant.
    I love desperate repairs anyway.

Lo-E, Roxbororob and bassfran like this.
  12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I did. My first upright bass was free. Subsequent repairs cost more than free. ;)

okcrum, Lo-E, T_Bone_TL and 5 others like this.
  13. oren

oren Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago
    Back in the 90s I bought a 68 Jazz for $99. I was told it had a broken truss rod. I put a cheap replacement neck on it and played it for some years. When I got some money I took it to Mike Lull and had him fix the original neck (turned out the truss rod was ok but then neck had a hump where it joined the body, plus needed some binding redone) and some work on the electronics, for $800. Mike said "Back around then Fender was experimenting a lot with pickups - this is one of the really good ones." I will have that bass for the rest of my life.

bassfran likes this.
  14. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    The real question to me is "would I pay more than it is WORTH." As others have pointed out, you could have bought a bass 30 years ago for $400, but there is a big difference between spending $500 to fix a vintage bass you paid $400 and spending $500 to fix a new bass you paid $400 for last year.

For me, the answer is that I might pay more to fix a bass I loved than it was actually worth, but as @Joe Nerve pointed out, there are a lot of variables.

T_Bone_TL, aprod and LeeNunn like this.
  15. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    :( Hope I never have to decide that.

16. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    If it is a beloved one of a kind or no longer available or family heirloom bass then yes. Absolutely yes! If the bass has no particular sentimental value and I can easily go to a local store and get the same bass or equivalent for less money then no. I will throw out the broken bits and sell the usable bits on TB.

Roxbororob and DChalo like this.
  17. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Honestly if I had an old heirloom, I probably wouldn't play it much or at all actually. Just display it. A lot of people are voting "yes" here. I look forward to hearing ya'lls reasoning for this

18. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

I have a L2000 tribute I bought from GC used for $400. Everything about it is perfect. I modded the electronics, and now it's even better.

But I got bored of the natural finish, so I sent it out for a refinish that will cost $425. The total is still less than what I paid for my USA G&L, but the tribby will be personalized for me.

DChalo likes this.
  19. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    I might pay more for a repair than the market value of a bass, but I get attached to stuff. I have one bass, and I love it. Zero GAS. Also, it helps that I bought it used, and there was not much demand for an unlined fretless Warmoth on Craigslist at the time. Along the same lines, we have a 1985 Mercedes 300D. I've already spent more in repairs than it's worth, but it's a great car (to me). I cringe at the thought of a new bass or car, but there is a limit to how much I would pay in repairs to either one.

lfmn16 likes this.
  20. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    I think I have already put as much into one bass as it originally cost, if not more. I think the bridge and machine heads I put into it alone almost cost as much as it. and those were replacements as much as upgrades. I might be less willing to put out for an entire new neck, if the unfotunate happened, and it snapped. At that point, I might rather just buy a new bass.