Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

POLL: Your favourite string spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Silverstar, Oct 20, 2002.

1. 20mm or more

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. 18mm - 19mm

25 vote(s)
    51.0%
  3. 16mm - 17mm

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  4. 15mm or less

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. I get along with every spacing

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. String spacing, who cares ?, I love my Rogue either way

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Hi folks,

just wanted to know what's your favourite string spacing is :)
    Mine is 18-19 mm

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I like the traditional Fender type spacing. Badass bridge, Pensa, Sadowsky type spacing. Works for me:D

Rob

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I prefer the slighter tighter 17.5 you find on the standard Pedulla neck. (btw, you poll doesn't allow this - it jumps from 16-17 to 18-19. ;) )

4. I pretty much love the spacing on my `98 P.Very comfy for use with the floating thumb technique.Does anyone happen to know the exact string spacing of a Fender P?

String spacing on my Ibanez EDC700 is also very comfy.

I have small hands(if it matters).

5. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    the wider, the better for me.
    but where are we measuring?
    last fret?
    bridge?

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    20 @ the bridge

7. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    as a Session player and a bassist in a rock band I think it's the best for me to be quite open with different string spacing, IMO the Warwick string spacing is to narrow but I have a 5 string Warwick bass because I love the sound and also it's easier to do arpeggios with it due to the narrow string spacing. However on my Lakland it's different, the string spacing is wider and the tone is great but it is more versatile than my Warwick.
    MHO is if ppl can play 4 strings as well as 7 strings the string spacing is not a big deal to get used to.

8. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    limo I also own some warwick.. :D i understand you very well

i plan to let them build me a 6 string signature model too. my friend has 2 from them (damned firm player)! Actually i use their 17mm spacing but i setup it little wider because of I need more place for slap... but this spacing is so cool for fretless fingerstyle... enough for me on my spector...

9. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    so which basses have 19mm+ spacing?
    i like 'em wide, and i'd like to try some out that are wider than mine.

10. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I like relatively tight spacing such as on Carvins. I have small hands so I still have plenty of room for slapping and such.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I really like the space given on sadowskys it just feels like their is a littel extra for the low B. I am a big fan of the hofner cavern bass but the spacing on the strings you can barely play with you fingers. I think it has a lot to do with style finger or pick and hand size. ROCK OUT

12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    My basses are all 18-ish, except for the Modulus which is a bit tighter. Can't say I notice the difference when playing though, perhaps muscle memory or something makes you adjust automatically when picking up a different instrument?

13. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Warwick's Broad Necks have a 20mm spacing. IMO, this works a whole lot better than their standard 16.5mm spacing for 5 or 6 strings, especially if you're used to the 19mm spacing of their 4 strings, or the 3/4" (~19mm) spacing of most other basses.

I'm thinking of picking up a Warwick BN, but I'm a little annoyed that this means being limited to a Streamer or Thumb. Fortunately, I like the Streamer LX. The 20mm spacing is much closer to the 3/4" spacing on my Jazz Plus V than the regular Warwick 5-strings.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

We're talkin' bridge spacing here. The Fender standard is 3/4" (~19mm), which is the spacing I prefer. I own a Warwick SSI5 which has 20mm, and that's groovy too.

I also own two basses with 17mm spacing (Lull and Modulus). They have the nut width I prefer, but I can't get completely comfortable on the tighter bridge spacing so I play them less often than my standard-spaced basses.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I prefer 19mm, but I can live with 16.5 and up.

16. Curbows have just about my favorite necks, so I went with 20mm, which is the default Curbow spacing (even for 6's). Wide, but great to get around on once you get used to it.

Mike

17. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    my 6 string broad neck warwick is really nice

i cant complain

18. I was really happy with my Foderas and their 21mm spacing until I finally got my Conklin 8 with its 17mm and I couldn't be more pleased!

:D

from the low end,

Stew