Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Polly Memorial ideas and suggestions.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Just a thought.....I was thinking we could post ideas for a memorial ala' Spector bass or other ideas. Along with a potential lil' something for his family.

This is just for posting ideas and discussion. It is meant to keep the "sad news" thread on tract and not wandering off.
    Also we can make this sort of the happy thread.
    Ok?? Good!! :) :p

edit:man my spelling is horrible at times

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

We could send a card to his family telling them how much Polly ment to all of us.

3. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    I don't really want to think about a memorial at the moment, but whatever happens I'de like to be involved.

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    We could make a donation to an organization of some sort. The spector thing might be a tough one for his fam. How bout a "simple" card of sorts or letter maybe, passed around to everyone that want's to participate... TBrs from arround the world will share some memories/lyrics/songs/pics maybe a scap book of sorts. You would be responsible for the postage and forwarding it to the next guy/girl. This way money should't be an issue as well as shipping costs of a bass that could be damaged in the mail.

Somethings to be said for someone who has buddies from Aisa to England to NYC to Cali. That is a true tresure...

thoughts?

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Maybe instead of forwarding the whole thing to the next person, which could get costly and time consuming, one person would be willing to receive everyone's letters, cards, etc, and organize them into a scrapbook. Sort of like Smash is doing with the Sampler CD.

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    It seems to me that it would be just as easy to forward the letter to each individual person. Yes, it would be time consuming, but costly, no. If it were me, I wouldn't want to receive something from strangers immediately after something like this.

Of course, it's not me, thankfully :(

7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    good idea but how do you know when you receive it all... i.e Smash

One piece (scrap book) maybe it'll take us a yr or so, but it's in one place at a time....

ideas???

8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

A tasteful ad in the Shreveport paper.
    All the s/n's of people who would like to say
    whatever the ad says ....

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ohh! I like that, Thor. But a public advertisement may not be the most comforting to his family, and may not show that he was liked as supported by so many.

10. Thor

Ok, a screen that all who want could sign, print off and send ...

And I don't think a signed bass is appropriate, better to
    give a bass in his memory to a local school or something like that.

11. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    agreed

12. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Some kind of lesson fund / scholarship maybe?

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Ok, if we do this, I say that we DO send it to one person so that he or she could compile it into one manilla envelope and send THAT to the family. Again, this is my personal opinion and I obviously am not trying to speak for Polly's family, but I would NOT want hundreds of envelopes coming every day. One envelope that contains everybody's printed page/screen/whatever they wanted to send would be much more appropriate.

I personally think this is an awesome idea, and if done correctly can be a real comfort to Casey's family. It'll show them how truly loved that he was.

14. I like that idea. People could donate and then after a certain amount of time donate a bass to someone going to a music college or something like that.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    That is an idea I'll back!

it could be in memorial of his "screen name" from all of ours. Do like a full or half page.

I also agree a signed bass is just the wrong thing to do

16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    One thing you have to keep in mind, is that it is very possible that the family witheld the death notice from the paper, it is important to respect the families wishes, no matter what we decide to do.

17. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    This is a very tough time for pollys family, I back the idea to have all who want too, sign their names to a card and make a collage of some sort.

If people want to send them to someone, I'll be glad to set it up and then mail it to his family once completed. There would need to be a time limit for having all cards sent.

18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Do we know how to contact the family? I suspect that Mike or Gia and maybe a few others might. Not that I would nominate anyone for this unpleasant task, but if we send anything - at least one of us will need to know an address to send it to.
    Would it be appropriate to contact the family and ask if they mind if we (strangers to them) send cards and such? If somebody was to make that call, they could ask at the same time if there have been any support funds established for the family that we might donate to or if that is not necessary, maybe a particular charity to which we could make donations in Casey's memory.

19. Along the lines of the Spector idea...

I remember a while back, back when I only lurked, I think XavierG had a program to get basses to kids interested in music but couldn't afford it.

If that program is still going on or has hopes of going on, could rename it in memory/honor....sort of a scholarship type fund?

This may be unreasonable, but one way of supporting it would be voluntary additions to the supporting member fee. It may be hard/impossible for Paul to do, but I certainly wouldn't mind adding an optional 5 or 10 bucks or whatever when I renew. That extra voluntary bit could go to the program? Little contributions add up...

Just throwing stuff out there...

20. Thor

IIRC, Le Gran Hoser was not real happy with the way the effort turned out, I don't think it was all that feasible
    with the shipping etc. Better to look at another effort
    imho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.