Polly needs a new rig (Or, "I have not played alot of amps, help?")

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PollyBass, Dec 14, 2003.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

I just,,,er,,, "came across" some free money that I have to spend on music related gear. I don't "need" a new amp, I love the tone I get right now, but the amp is kinda flaky sometimes, so ....

I'm looking for something with some modern tones. My tone is all High mids and Low mids. I would like a 7 band EQ at least, and suggestions cabs that can give me alot of high end, as well as low mids.

I was thinking SWR? I know I don't want an AMPEG, nothing aginst people who like them, just not for me. I would like something that would let me tweak EVERYTHING about the tone. I only played what I liked in music stores, and what I have now, and friends rigs. So, what do you think TB?
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Bergies. Bergies... and another bergie just for kicks.
  3. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I played a show opening for the Big Wu, a jamband from the mid west or something. We shared backlines, and he had a hartke head with the Graphic eq (no clue what model), GK 2x12 and a GK 4x10. The mids were knarly. Normally I like to hear the mids, but I absolutly could not get rid of them with out that lame scooped sound. I like more bottom and smoother high mids than the rig gave me, you could possibly like. this is his quote

"Phil Kubicki Ex-Factor basses, Hartke amplifiers, but not the speaker cabs. They have no midrange. Right now I just use an old 4x10 GK cab with Eminence 350 watt (3.5" voice coils) speakers. It's the closest thing to John Paul Jones or Jon Entwhistle I can find.P.S.: Boss effects work better than the others..."

I am a fan of both John and Jon, and it was nothing close to Jones, but Entwhistle is a possiblity.
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    What do you mean by "flaky"?

If you love the tone, but are worried about the power, get a power amp...like a QSC powerlight, and use your existing head for a pre.

If you need more control tweakage, add a rack mounted active EQ. You'll have to ask someone else for a recomendation there.
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I would add a poweramp, but someone said before I didn't have a "hot enough" output to trigger a power amp! It has "XLR out, Unbalanced out, bi-amp outputs, and an effects loop. It's not REALLY flaky, it just needed some repair a while back.

I would rather get a power amp.
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I'd say contact QSC...Bob Lee?
    I bet you could do this.
    I think you won't be sorry.
    I had a Hartke HA3500 head. I loved the tone, but the power wasn't there. I had a chance to use it as the pre one time before I sold it.
    It blew me away totally.