1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pollytone

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by JAS, Dec 13, 2001.

1. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    has anyone tried the pollytone amps? i think the small ones are called the "mega brute" and the bigger are called the "mini brute." Do these amps have a nice sound? Is it something you can use for both string bass and a fender?

2. It's the other way: the Mini-Brute are the smallest, and the Mega-Brute the biggest.
    I bought a Mini-Brute 1 one week ago and I'm very happy with it. Very warm, tube-like tone, with good definition. Very small and light-weight. Quite affordable too.
    I think that for the price I had the best quality.
    I'm not sure I'd use it with a Fender Bass though!

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have an ancient Polytone Minibrute with a 12" speaker. It's so old, it is covered with what appears to be black velvet. At the moment it's my #3 DB amp, but I'd be happy to take it to most "small" gigs without a second thought. I've used it for both Realbass and Slab gigs, and it does a great job for both...before I got my first DB, I used it almost exclusively for fretless Plank jazz gigs for years, and was always happy with the tone.

One thing to be aware of with Polytone combo amps: they all use a sealed cabinet design, which gets a particular sound which has been described as "stuffy" by some. I've found this to be true to a certain degree, but also discovered that a little judicious use of EQ can solve most of these problems.

Also, if the one I have is any indication, these things are battlefield tough: mine dates back at least to the 70's, and the only repair it ever needed was from a gig I played with dirty power due to too long a distance from the original power source. The repair cost me about $40 - not a bad track record for an amp I've owned and used regularly for at least 15 years.

4. When I started at McGill University the jazz department had three new polytones. By the end of my second year they had all quit working. Everyone I know with an old one (70's+) have had no problems. I think the older ones sound better too.

5. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    I've used and abused my Polytone Minibrute III for 7 years and it hasn't let me down once. The company went under for a few years and when they came back, the amps were a lot more expensive from what I've heard. The ones from the 70's are sought after by guitarists as well as bassists. I think the 15" models are better for toy bass than DB, especially 5 string toy bass.