1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poly or Nirto? How can I tell?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Earwaxsculptor, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Hey guys,

I have a 1991 USA Inca Silver Longhorn Jazz that sat for years because I needed to replace the (very hard to find) 22 fret Jazz neck. Well long story short, a fellow TB'er is hooking me up with a very nice Fender 22 fret Victor Bailey neck.

Only thing is that seeing how nice this neck is (Koa laminate headsock, fancy etc...) it has made me ponder refinishing/restoring the body, but I have read that poly can be very difficult to strip. There are numerous scratches & dents, some with cracks, and even a few chips right down to the wood, the biggest one (about 1"x1/4") being near the input jack. The body is "worn" to say the least but is still 100% functional.

Now, I am by no means even near a luthier but am pretty crafty with my hands, first off how can I tell if this is a poly finish? And secondly, if I take the appropriate steps found on sites such as ReRanch.com to strip/restore this body can I expect nice results, or handyman results?

I am not interested in resale value for this bass, and am in no rush to "rush" this project. Just interested in the experience.

Dive in or leave it be? Opinions please!
    Thanks guys!

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021