1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Polyamory...the perfect 5 string match with a 4 string Rick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MattStonewall, May 4, 2015.

1. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Jan 7, 2014
    Virginia
    Whether you're a Rickenbacker owner or not...what would be your dream 5 string bass match with a 4 string Rickenbacker? I'm thinking about buying a 5 string Gibson Thunderbird or Fender Jazz.

2. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    This is not the answer that you are looking for but I would say: a 5 string Ric. Mod one out.

ctmullins likes this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    For similar tone, maybe a Reverend Rumblefish XL, if you can find one? (My 3 aren't for sale.) ;)

MattStonewall likes this.
  4. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Jan 7, 2014
    Virginia
    Tone doesn't have to be the same but I'd prefer passive. I know that's hard to come by nowadays in the 5-string world.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Nah, most have an "off" switch - now, how useful the passive controls are... (different question). I sound like a broken record, but my Sires do quite well passive.

6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    The best 5er match to a Ric is the 5 string Ric I ordered and they wimped out on! I'm dying for a Ric 5er, but I don't want one of the "vintage" ones they sold for a while where the strings were too wide for the pickups and that made the B and G strings weak compared to the rest. And I don't want some kind of conversion where some other pickups are substituted to get the string coverage, but I'd worry about getting the Ric sound.

It's too bad there is no real solution to this problem.

7. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    If Ric would get their heads out of their asses, then you would be able to buy a 5 stringer right from them.

The market for 5ers is much bigger than I thought, with one factory telling me they produce them in equal numbers to 4 string basses.

8. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    I hear you. Ric5 should chime in here at some point because he's done a lot of Ric 4 to 5 string conversions.

I personally really want a 6 string bass that will sound (and look) just like a Ric. The only real way I know of doing that is getting a custom bass made. There's nothing super-magical about Ric pickups or anything. One can get custom pickups to sound just like a Ric's, they just have to be made similar to Ric's specs and put in the right position on the bass body.

9. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Jan 7, 2014
    Virginia
    Looking online it's hard to even find a 5 string Gibson Thunderbird or a Fender P with 5 strings. Most of the 5 string passive basses I find are Fender Jazz. I've considered Lakeland. I'd love a 5 string bass version of the Geezer Butler sig!