Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Polyphonic Spree- Any opinions?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BustinJustin, Feb 12, 2004.

1. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Anyone listen to these guys? Any reviews?

2. yes---i hate them. they are NOT the most interesting thing to hit a rock and roll band. they make me weep.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

OT is for Off Topic discussion involving non-music related topics.

4. they look like a cult to me.

5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Agreed, although it's undetermined if polyphonic is in fact music or not... ;)

6. they seem to me like an earth, wind, and fire type of *band*. i still hate them. they're song is stuck on my head. but i forgot the tune.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, they seem really annoying. bunch o' hippies with choir outfits. Follow the day? what the heck does that mean?

8. dont forget to reach for the sun, who wants normal hands anyway, i want mine all burnt and crusty.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Are they the "Up with People" of the new millenium? :p

10. interesting- in the UK the Polyphonic Spree were getting airplay/doing TV appearances over a year ago- my understanding is that they got dropped by their record company-
    have they re-signed and relaunched themselves back in the US now?

re. the music, I don't mind them - there are so many bands with that same vocal style - Mercury Rev, Flaming Lips, The Thrills, but i like the expanded instrumentation- the flute etc. and the bass player plays some decent lines.
    I was also bemused at how on Later With Jools Holland they managed to get a great sound from such a large band (and such crap sounds from 4/5-pc. guitar bands....)

overall, I'd rather listen to them than (S)Norah Jones :bag:

11. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    They make me think of Jim Jones & Kool-Aid.

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

While the "hippie" influence in their music doesn't float my boat, I think some of their songs could be the kind of music that grows on me with repeated listenings..........(hell, I hated Korn right off the bat but learned to like some of their newer material once I "got it").

At least they're trying to do something that's not crassly commercial........which is to say - I think they're a "developing" band.
    Only problem is that, these days, recording labels don't support bands that need time to develop.

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

These days all a record company wants is what every other record company has: "Canned Band".

14. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics

:meh: The first place I (and probably most Americans) heard them was on a car commercial. I haven't heard much, but there are better bands doing similar stuff.

post #888!

15. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    I thought that song they always play in the morning on MTV2 was a
    chanakah song,
    and thoroughly confused me why they were still playing it in Febuary-
    I read about them later, to discover its not the record company
    that's financing touring with 50+ members-
    its the singer's trust fund-

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - I meant "commercial" in the musical sense - music that is purposely written and performed to appeal to the largest audience possible, (usually the LCD), a la Britney Spears, et al.

The music of some of the great classical composers has been used in car ads........hardly "commercial" music in the artistic sense.

17. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics

:) I got what you were saying. I just thought it was interesting that you said that. But, I thought it would sound obnoxious to say "It's interesting that you say that, because...", because I thought you might take it the wrong way (which ended up happening, anyway, :D ). But, just to sound more of a contrary ass, they probably wouldn't have used the song in a car ad if it didn't have commercial appeal. But that's certainly not to say it was written for that purpose.

I'm trying to avoid looking like Bruce by using a bunch of smileys and exclamation marks, so instead I'll just say that, although it may sound like I'm disagreeing, I'm not. I am, however, spending more time than I should talking about a band in which I'm uninterested. :)

18. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    They make the best music of any cult I've heard.