1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Polytone Contempo Bass - Made In Japan

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by leona1, Feb 15, 2017.

1. leona1

leona1 Supporting Member

May 27, 2009
    Price:
    Strings:
    20170214_154540. 20170214_154320. 20170214_154221. 20170214_154207. 20170214_154540. 20170214_154255. Polytone Contempo Bass
    Made in Japan 1980
    Not to many of these basses out there.
    Bass is in mint condition for being 37 yrs old! Specs:
    Offset double cutaway sculpted mahogany body and neck.
    24 fret ebony fingerboard with split large block / small block "Polytone " pearl inlays. Black headstock overlay with pearl inlays. Two per side tuners. Neck / bridge pick-ups ( made by Ibanez ). Three-way pick up selector switch. All gold hardware. Piano black finish with white binding on neck and body. Bass is in mint condition. Kind of looks like an Alembic bass. Asking $700 firm. No trades.

Attached Files:

2. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    Cool bass! How would you describe the sound, what type of pickups are they? Can it be punchy, or more on the dark side?

3. leona1

leona1 Supporting Member

May 27, 2009
    Ibanez made the pick ups. They also made the pick ups on the guitar version. They are hot! Can be dark and very punchy. Back pick up has a fierce bark to it. I tend to like it in the mid range with both at a blend.

GaryLC likes this.
  4. joeeg33

joeeg33 Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Central New Jersey
    Where's those extra frets you speak of?

Lord Andrew and Mrmatt1972 like this.
  5. leona1

leona1 Supporting Member

May 27, 2009
    Sorry Charlie! Good eye. 22 frets.

6. Varlam

Varlam

Jan 20, 2017
    Metro Detroit
    Close inspection of your photos, particularly photo #3, tells me that fretboard is Rosewood, not Ebony.

Oh, and your listing of this bass on Reverb still claims it has 24 frets.

7. leona1

leona1 Supporting Member

May 27, 2009
    This model is ebony. I know of two different models that were made under the Polytone brand. One rosewood and the other ebony. The rosewood one has the precision / jazz pick up configuration and the ebony one has pick ups you see here. The ebony on this one is not the pitch black kind. Some have some different shades of brown. I will take it to a local luthier and get his take on it.

8. Varlam

Varlam

Jan 20, 2017
    Metro Detroit
    "This model is ebony".
    Oh, really? I call that B.S.

"I know of two different models"... "The rosewood one has the precision/jazz pick up configuration and the ebony one has the pickups you see here". Again, more B.S.
    Really now, so please post a photo of or lead us to where info is on this other p/j pup/rosewood model. I've found no mention of that anywhere.
    My research on this model states they are made with Rosewood fretboard. Short of having your instrument in my hands I can confidently say your example is Rosewood. This is even more obvious by other example photos out there of this same model. Indeed, ebony and rosewood can have great light/dark color variances, but the differences of these two woods goes far beyond just their shading.

leona1 has two negative seller ratings here on TB for (allegedly) pulling the same mis - information claims about other instruments he/she had for sale here.

So... imagine buying for yourself or another, and sending money for a stated 24 fret, Ebony fretboard bass only to discover after receiving it has 22 frets and a Rosewood fretboard! Then what?!!
    Draw your own conclusions.
    This is for the TB top brass to approve/dissaprove, but my strong feeling is that sellers making false claims need to be called out when spotted and extra care needs to be taken when describing an item for sale. People are free to be careless with their own money, but not with mine.
    At first spotting this listing it sparked my interest (hence researching this model), but I decidedly will not be purchasing from this seller. Again, draw your own conclusions.

Also, potential buyers should be aware the Contempo bass is extra-long scale, between 35 1/2" and 36" and also noted to be considerably heavy (I don't have actual weight specs).
    Be well my fellow TB'ers.

GaryLC likes this.
  9. leona1

leona1 Supporting Member

May 27, 2009
    Like I stated earlier, I will have my luthier friend take a look at it and if I'm wrong I will correct it. Not a big problem. A potential buyer can always look at my feedback / rating history. You forgot to mention the positive feedback and only focused on the negative. Why? Nobody here is forcing anyone to buy. No need to be angry about it. I will go back and pull up info and see what I've missed. The other Polytone bass that I mentioned is on craigslist in the Los Angeles / Hollywood area. So have a look at it. Be happy and play bass , not the fool.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  10. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    It took me about half a minute to find enough info and photos to verify that this is in fact a Polytone Contempo bass, or are you just looking for an argument out of boredom ? No ones forcing you to buy this and your research skills obviously leave something to be desired.

seang15 likes this.
  11. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    This is kind of cool looking bass , I'd be curious to know what the weight is ?

12. Varlam

Varlam

Jan 20, 2017
    Metro Detroit
    I never contested the original listing was a Contempo.
    As far as the P/J model, I found nothing until the CL listing was shown, and for that I stand corrected and offer my public apology.
    And I agree that the Contempo model/design itself appears a fine build.

But really, who is okay with themselves, or their friend, son/daughter/relative, paying for a 24 frets and Ebony board (or whatever) and receive something much different than claimed?
    I clicked on this seller's response to two other (allegedly) mis-represented bass sales and his response, in my opinion, read as total disregard and denial, offering no acknowledgement and nothing in recompense. Yes, other's are free and encouraged to look into and decide for themselves.

Who's responsibility is it to make certain a listing is correct...the seller? or the potential buyer? Who has the instrument in hand to verify the details claimed?
    As a buyer/potential buyer on this sight, I'd be quite pleased when others make myself (and aware) of mis-listings and other factors to be cautious of.
    Anyone here is free to PM me to discuss further, if moved to do so.
    Be well and my hopes for well resulting future transactions for all parties.
    Andrew

13. leona1

leona1 Supporting Member

May 27, 2009
    Sold.