1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Polytone MBIII-Replace with Eden CXC110?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chetmz, Dec 6, 2006.

1. chetmz

chetmz

Dec 4, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I have had a Mini Brute 3 for almost 30 years and have always liked the tight sound and tone for jazz and soft rock.

However, looking for a more modern small (light) amp that has the power to use in conjunction with additional cabs for more 'electric' gigs (old R&B, blues, rock).

Even though it is just has a 10"speaker is the CXC110 a good choice? I am wondering if because it is ported it may have about the same bass response as the Mini Brute 15" because that is in a sealed box.

2. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    chetmz, we have had a couple of discussions this year about CXC-110s. Definitely do a search.

I will say that the CXC-110 is a fine small combo amp. Lots of power, especially with the WT-390 upgrade. The coax 10 is an excellent full range speaker with very balanced sound. It can't be pushed really hard, particularly with a 5-string. I don't think that'd be an issue for you.

It's a quality piece and is built well. It is heavier than you would expect- mine weighs about 42 pounds and is a hefty lift out of my trunk with the one top handle. I usually try to lift it from the bottom instead of with the top handle so I can use two hands.

Finally, it just sounds terrific. You'd definitely not be disappointed in one. The tone is to cry for. Tom Bowlus is a notorious gear/tone hound, and even he is impressed with his CXC-110.

I have no experience with Polytone amps, so can't compare them.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, indeed. I am generally a fan of Eden products, but some moreso than others. The CX-110 is one of my favorite Eden cabs, and I like the tonality of the SS "Time Traveler" heads, so that combo is a match made in Eden heaven. :D Is it the "end all, be all" combo? Of course not, there are lots of great choices, but it is certainly on that list of excellent combo choices, IMHO.

I haven't played one in years (many years!), and I really can't make a comparison, either.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've had quite a bit of experience with Polytone but none with that little Eden combo although I've played many similar small como ampos in that class. But, if the Eden is anything like a lot of the other ported, relatively gigh efficiency designs in combo amps these days, it will put out a bigger sound at a higher volume than the Polytone. What you won't get from them though is the smoothness and warmth you can get from the Polytone.

However, a 1X10 combo is still only one little speaker, no matter how many watts you have to drive it. I think if you're after a significant increase, you should go to something with a bigger speaker, or multiple speakers and give the amp a chance.

5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I played a Polytone for many years and there are times I wish I never got away from them. Why not just get one of the new Polytone Sonic Bass IIs? More power than your old one and the newer preamp has much more tonal possibilties also.

6. chetmz

chetmz

Dec 4, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Reefer and 62bass- Thanks for your input. I would NEVER get rid of my old Polytone!! I bougth it back when I was playing with Jack McDuff. If for nothing other than fond memories of those days on the Chitlin' Circuit, I'll keep it (along with my '61 Precision).
    I have just gotten back into playing the last few years and found myself doing some small gigs, and possibly some club dates where I would like a bigger sound and possibly one that 'spreads' a bit more. Rather than buying a head along with a larger cab(S), I thougth another small amp with much more power would give me both an additional choice for small gigs as well as, basically a 'head' for larger ones.

7. Lobaw

Lobaw

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I know this is a late reply to an old thread, but better late than never. I have an older Polytone Mini Brute III (diamond pattern) and found that adding one of the newer cabs like an Epi T-112 or a Bag End S15, really helped increase the volume of the rig, especially the BE. In both cases, the combination of cabs was a nice sound. Other than in large rooms or outdoor gigs without P.A. support, the Polytone can get pretty loud and, in my case, worked very well when I added another cabinet. Like many of the TBers, I have other rigs, so the Polytone rarely goes out on a gig, although I was in a hurry one night a few months ago night grabbed it for a small room (1Ksqft) and drove the room from my backline. I did use an outboard EQ to sweeten the sound.

8. chetmz

chetmz

Dec 4, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Loblaw, thanks for the post. Actually, it is interesting you mention the Bag End cabs. I just picked up an S15 and am anxious to try it with the Polytone. I don't expect much of an increase in volume although I imagine the high efficiency of the Bag End will help. What I do expect is that it will give the sound a nice boost in 'fullness'. We'll see.

9. Lobaw

Lobaw

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Chetmz, if you're like me, you'll probably never sell your Mini Brute. Everytime I think of selling it, it comes in handy for some reason. I must say that I like the tone for certain things more than anything else - especially when we were all going for that Jaco tone. I had a GK Micro Bass combo and ended-up getting rid of it in favor of keeping the Polytone. Currently, I am doing a low volume electric bass/guitar duo gig and I'm now reaching for the Polytone rather than using my EA IAMP 800/VL-208 rig. When you get around to trying the Bag End, post your results. I'd be curious to hear how you liked it. Take care.