1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Polytone Mini Brute III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TCube, Jul 18, 2008.

1. TCube

TCube

Sep 1, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Dear Colleagues,
    I have recently been using a Polytone Mini Brute III (1985 vintage or so) for an electric bass during quiet jazz gigs. I was wondering if any of you use it, partly, because I'm looking for a manual, but also because I'd like whatever wisdom you can impart.

My Mini Brute has very few controls - bass, treble/mid (stacked), and volume. No distortion, reverb, or fx loop connections.

Thanks!

Terry

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I have one that I believe is the exact model you have (with the stacked mid control), I got it sometime in the 80's. I don't have a manual for it, and don't know what else to say other than it's a pretty cool little amp. One thing I'd like to add is that after several years the solder joints on the circuit board started to go bad. It got to where it would make a bad crackly distorted sound (intermittently), and I opened it up and found some solder joints that looked like they may have gone bad over time and perhaps overheated (I pushed the amp pretty hard). I resoldered all the suspect looking solder joints, and the amp worked fine again. But then after a few more years it happened again, so I redid the solder joints and it worked fine again. Then after a few more years it happened again. Now the amp just sits as a bedroom practice amp, works ok if I don't push it too hard (I haven't resoldered anything yet this last time it started acting up, too lazy). I had another Polytone amp before this one and it was the same story, solder joints going bad after several years. But I haven't heard anyone else mention this happening to their Polytone amps, only mine, maybe they didn't push them as hard as I did. Good luck with yours, they are nice sounding little amps (when they are working good).

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    try this link. It's from Murch Music in Cambridge, Ontario. They have a number of manuals for old Polytone amps to download.

http://www.murchmusic.com/

Go to "products", find Polytone amps and somewhere on that page you'll find the manuals to download

I had a Polytone MiniBrute II I bought new about 1976. Great little amp. Never a bit of trouble with it.

4. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Hard to believe but at the time it was quite the technological marvel. Louder than and much lighter than a B15 at the time. Great for small clubs but there was this cone of volume that the cabinet would throwand it was pretty directional in a large room. Nice clean preamp. I'm using one w/a 15 at a rehearsal space with a 15 piece big band and it fills the room, but I'm almost pushing it ( just to have the headroom)

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You can also try this from the Polytone website-
    http://www.polytoneamps.com/Download.html

Yes, they were really ahead of their time. My little MiniBruteII was supposed to be a 60 watt amp. It had a single 12" speaker. I used it onetime for a fairly loud club gig with a 15"extension cabinet and got a great sound. Enough volume but not much to spare. The amp got pretty hot but didn't fail. And that was a 2 week, 6 night a week gig. Pretty amazing really.

It was also a great amp to mic up in the studio for recording. I liked the recorded sound better than my B15.

I tried a new MiniBrute III recently. It wasn't bad. It sounded like it would also make a great recording amp.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    In the 70's, every upright player used a MiniBrute. My first teacher had one because he played upright. I think Carol Kaye still uses hers. You can get some good deals on them.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Carol Kaye now uses the GK MB150S, for electric bass and guitar.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021