polytone minibrute question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scamp, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Scamp

Jul 18, 2003
    I read here in a thread that they are intended for bass or guitar? I saw one at a local shop for 200 bucks and was thinking of picking it up but it seemed intended specifically for a guitar as it had reverb and other guitar features. Didn't have time to plug in and try it but looking for something a little better then my microbass and the reviews make me think its the best i'm going to do for that cheap.
  2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    It's an all-round amp, it can be used for bass, guitar or keyboards. I have one (a MiniBrute II, 12" with distortion and reverb). I have used it a lot, mostly for double bass. Not the warmest, most bass-friendly amp, but powerful for it's size, great as a stage monitor (cuts through). Easily kills the Microbass IME. Sound quality may be improved with a good external preamp.

I've also used mine as a home studio guitar amp with good results (one of the reasons I keep it - I have other bass amps now that I use more).

IME they're rare to find used. I paid equal to $800 for mine a few years back (used), and the rule of thumb over here is that in the US, gear is half the price. So if it works, $200 seems like a good price.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I've got a 2000 Mini-Brute V and an old Mini-S15B. Historically they're jazz guitar amps in general with mix reponses for Bass - although Carole Kaye (sp?) and many others have used them. Personally I like them for bass cause I like the tone of a closed cab and for a little amp, the V is a simple yet very versatile amp that suits my needs well.

Polytones came out in the 70's and were initially intended for accordian as the creator was an accordian player. Really a bit of an obscure company out of Hollywood, Cal that has made probably a hundred different amps, heads, accordians, basses, and bass pickups - that come to mind.

Should be dated on the back but up till about 2000 most of them had an absolutely horrible distortion control ("THE RED KNOB"). There's are lot more of the older amps around than newer ones.

You probably wouldn't get one in working condition off ebay for under $200 (at least not shipped). They weigh around 40 lbs and are loud for their size. Solid State yet warm in tone typically with Eminence 4 ohm speakers. If it doesn't seem very loud there's a strong possibility someones blown the original and dropped an 8 ohm speaker in it cause older 4 ohm low wattage speakers are hard to come by. You can probably offer whoever $150 for it and they'll take it cause basically only jazz people are familiar with them. I saw one in a musicgoround for $100 once - and is was LOUD!
  4. Scamp

Jul 18, 2003
    thanks for the responces. Went today and tried it out and checked out the back of it. It is a minibrute II according to the back. I plugged in and while the sound was very nice on the higher notes it definately seemed to be lacking for lower ones. I tried playing around with the eq but just couldn't get a sound I liked out of the open E string. I'm thinking the clearance bassman 60 or 100 at mf is the way to go at this point.