Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Polytone question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by LeftyFenderJazz, Aug 29, 2002.

1. LeftyFenderJazz

LeftyFenderJazz

Aug 11, 2002
    New York
    I have a Polytone Mini Brute with a 15" speaker, the sticke r on the back says literally, Mini Brute 2 or 3 .

I am looking for a Polytone bass amp with a 12" speaker. But I dodnt know what they are called.

Also is the bass 12" amp THE SAME as the guitar 12' amp...or are they DIFFERENT.

I am getting mixed up with the bass and guitar amps both using the mini brute name

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    A MiniBrute is a MiniBrute is a MiniBrute. They're all the same, no matter what you plug in to it.

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I bought a (new) MiniBrute last fall. The 12" model.
    I didn't like it.
    The speaker section of the cab is not isolated from the electronics, so an air flow was going through the jacks of the amp, making a very annoying noise.
    That amp is not very suited for bass, IMHO. (I'm not speaking of the older models, just speaking of my own experience)
    I returned it and got a Workingmans 12 and am VERY satisfied. SWRs are really made for bass amplification.

My $0.02

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I played through a 12" Polytone for a long time. I noticed the breeze coming through the thing as well, but never really noticed any noise.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

All Polytone amps are sealed cabinet design, which means that the air generated by the motion of the speaker cone has nowhere to go but out front and through any "leaks" in the cabinet design, such as the input jacks. Closed cab designs ALL color the sound a certin way IME. Some like it some don't. I like it okay for BG, but not so much for DB, especially at higher volumes.

6. LeftyFenderJazz

LeftyFenderJazz

Aug 11, 2002
    New York
    thanks guys for all the input

i would like to find a 12" one..being its a little smalle r than my 15 inch version..and could sit in my bedroom better

7. ...one year later.

I have a 15" vinyl-covered (foam front) Polytone extension cab that I bought used. Does anyone know the specs (power handling, impedance, etc.) on this thing? Someone I talked to thought maybe it was a weird impedance like 3.2 Ohms or something.

Also, what would happen if you tried to make your own port in the thing, and does anyone have any thoughts on how this would be done?