polytone taurus

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Feb 4, 2001.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    hi guys i need information about the polytone taurus 125 w combo amp. do you know something about this amp? is there a website where i can find info on it?
  2. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    And I happen to own one of those EBS'es, but that's not what you're looking for, right?
  4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    When I was in high school in the late 80's the school's bass amp was a Polytone Taurus that had a 15" and 2 8" speakers. The thing sounded really weird- it had a very gruff, snotty midrange without a whole lot of top or bottom. There were two input channels; both had volume, bass and treble controls plus a tone voicing switch, and one channel also had distortion, phase/vibrato, and reverb. I had quite a fun time cranking my Kramer Pioneer through this puppy with the effects cranked during Sousa marches in concert band rehearsal! For some reason the Taurus didn't sound nearly as good as the smaller Polytones I've played through--the 1x15 and the 1x8 Mini Brute. A lot of old school jazz upright players swear by Polytones--they seem to add a good, "dark" color to the sound that modern hi-fi amps totally lack.