PolyWeb or NanoWeb Elixir strings for fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ctorre, Mar 13, 2002.

1. ctorre

Feb 18, 2002
    USA, Seattle, WA

What's the difference between Elixir's PolyWeb and NanoWeb coated round wounds and which would you recommend for a fretless, polyester-coated Morado fingerboard?

Thanks in advance.

Charles Torre

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The difference between the 2 types are:

The NanoWeb strings are the newest model. They have a super thin coating, which is barely noticable.
    They last as long as the Polyweb.

The PolyWeb strings are Elixers first model of string. They have an outer coating that protects the strings from acidic sweat, and dirt. They are bright, and last a long time.

Both are great for fretless. It's up to you. I think the Nanoweb cost more though.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The other difference is that the nano's feel less slippery than the poly's. And the poly's look white.
  4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    It will be a long time before I use anything else on my fretless! I love them, and their cost is easily outweighed by their lifespan. Do it.

And get 'em at www.juststrings.com , best prices and fastest delivery I've ever found. Also superb service. Can't miss!
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Are you using the Elixirs on your Conklin fretless? I didn't think they even made a 6 string set, let alone a 7 string set.
  6. You can get single high C strings. I don't know about F though.
  7. ctorre

Feb 18, 2002
    USA, Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the feedback. I will try out the nanowebs for my next string change. I just put on a set of D'Addario EXP160 coated nickels (hadn't heard about the Elixirs until after I purchased the D'Addarios from JustStrings.com(yes, great company)).

Thanks again,

8. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    As a matter of fact (if it isn't a typo), www.juststrings.com has 6-string sets, .130 - .032, in Nanoweb -- for the same price as the 5-string set! Jump 'em now, guys... This litle tidbit was NOT on the site a month ago. Must be a new introduction! AND, the low B is taperwound -- also a (welcome) change!

I do have to use an oddball high F. Right now it is a D'Addario plain (unwound) .020". I tried both the wound .020" Bass Boomer and Ken Smith strings, and they both sound much weaker than the Elixir C, so I'm back to the plain D'Addario which balances nicely in both volume and tone. Damn thing is like a cheese slicer, though -- I actually cut my left fingertip on a slide after one got a little rusty. Ah, well -- they only cost $1.54, so I guess I'll just have to change 'em more often!