Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pondering 18s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Right now, I'm rocking out with 2 410XLTs, and while they have the volume (and boy howdy do they) I keep wanting a bit fatter bottom. And by a bit, I mean a lot. So I'm looking at 18s to beef up the low end.

Now, I'm kinda torn, mostly due to the sound applications. On an 18, the sounds project out like 20/30 feet, which means that near me, I won't be able to EQ it all that well, but at the back of the joint, things are jumpin like Jack Flash. I'd like to be hitting everyone at once though.

Is there some way to "cure" this? Something that can be done, be it putting the cabfacing the floor, or behind me, so the sound reflects off the back wall, or anything? Pretty much, I want the boom without the hassle. Or would I just have take my lumps with an 18? I'd think about a 2x15, but those are always 4 ohm cabs, which would mess up the impedance with a 4 ohm output and an 8 ohm 4x10 sitting on top.

Any suggestions/help? Lookin at the Eden 18XLT btw.

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I like the SWR Big Ben, very punchy for an 18. With a 410 on top, you should have the best of both worlds. Go wireless or get a long cable and go out front to hear what you're putting out. Best way to EQ 18's.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Have you A/Bed the Eden 18XLT and the Big Ben?

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I used a Yamaha 1x18 with great results. It had a quick attack and moved hellalot of air (could skip a pack of butts 'cross the stage).

I think JT uses one for the Bizillion stringers he plays ;) I could be wrong.

5. Thinking 2x15's eh! Mesa Boogies 2x15 is an 8 ohm cab.

6. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yes Brendan, I'm thinking the same thing. Adding a 118XLT would be interesting. More low end for sure, but at what cost. From what I hear, apparently it only pumps in the back rows for an audience. Maybe a 115XLT might do...

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I had the Eden for a while. Very wooly sounding and nowhere near the speed and punch of the SWR. Fat low-end, however. I hung onto the Eden D115XL, however, and like it very much with a D210XLT when driven by the WT400 in a small/medium room. Nice, warm sound.

8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I have one. It has BIG bottom.
    However, I am using it with an SVT all tube head coupled with a D-410 XLT, and It is too slow for the tube head.
    I would like another D-410 XLT 8 ohm, to make an 8-10 stack.

My 1-18 is in mint condition, ad 8 ohms.

I will trade if the the 4-10 xlt is in excellent condition,and also 8 ohms.

9. Nope...it's a 4 ohm. 8 ohm would be very cool though...?

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you are worried about the long throw of an 18 you might want to think about an Acme B-2 or B-4. Or even the B-2W or B-4W for just the lows.

11. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I am currently using a D-410XLT and a D-118XL, and while I love the low end the 18" speaker throws out, I'd rather have a more...homogenous sound. I'm thinking 2 D-410XST cabs would do the trick...:D :cool: :eek:

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Steven, I hear the XSTs throw out one hell of a low end...but Each one would cost about what I could get if I sold BOTH of my XLTs. So I think I might keep the current line, y'know?

How do those Eden 18s handle? Quick attack and good punch? Or what in general?

13. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I also had the Eden 118XLT and like others have said I also found it had a slow response. I had the same problem as you with the 410XLT - not enough lows. I solved that by adding the Eden 215. Since you have to run at 8 ohms I would definitely look into an Eden 115 - they're not to hard to find used.

14. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    Wan't more low end?..Adjust your EQ. I traded my Big Ben for a second 4x10, and was actually able to get more low end at higher levels (4x10s will generally have higher power ratings and higher efficienciency). 410xlt's are great speakers, you should be able to dial in a ton of bottom. Although each cab has a different character of sound, on paper the low end freq. response of the 18 may not be that much lower than the 4x10s anyway. I'd guess some spec. toad may chime in with those numbers soon hereafter. Anyway, try the 18 and see what you think, but also, use what you've got.