Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pondering my choice in Electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brendan, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    (Forwarned, I'm thinking out loud here...)

Well, In my future DP bass I was dead set on a Tone Freak configuration, I.E. Triple coils, Piezo, Active/passive EQ, In/out-of-phase, ect. Now, I figured "Hey, Maximum tones, right?".

Yeah, then I went and got a tone machine of an amp. Now, I'm wondering what to do for my pickups. I mean, thousands of guys get by one one or two pickups, including myself at the moment. And I really only EQ the amp one or two ways, and I'm happy as can be with it.

So now, what's on my mind is what to do. This is a serious question. I could go ape on the pups and EQ, but in reality, I don't know if I'd use more than three settings ("Thunder" "Slap" "Other"), and I could really shave a lot off of the price if I went with say, just two soaps, and maybe the Piezo.

I could say "Go and get it, at least it's there, you know, in case." But, not having them in the first place, I don't think I'd miss them that much (e.g. at all). You know, break my heart, I can't have an out-of-phase Single(phantom) coil with a Piezo, and then go to in-phase Series mode with Smiley EQ.

On the other hand, if I got it...:)

So...my current wonderment, is what to do about this new perspective? Go with it? Or run with the original Idea, which is still appealing, don't get me wrong. Then I have to redesign and re-think the pup config. But, I'm not going anwhere soon...

I hate bass.:D

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, The Phase switch is almos useless for most of the standard jobs for the Bass.
    I have it, but almost dont use it, unless craving very weird sounds.
    Of course the intensity of the effect is directly proportional to the distance between pickups.Very close pickups will almost fully cancel each other, leaving only overtones, etc etc.

Now, on the 3 band EQ on the Bass.
    You need it. Its the best think you can have for on the fly adjustments.

Single/Parallel/Single Coil...
    This also depends on the distance between coils INSIDE the pickup. You will notice a bigger difference if the Pickup is MM type rather than a Soapbar.
    This tonal changes cannot be achieved by EQ´ing.
    The changes are subtle but affect the perception of the tonal spectrum of the pickup.
    My recomendation is to get the Triple Coils with the switches.
    Something that is almost useless is to have 1 switch for each pickup.
    I have found that I use Series/Series Parallel/Parallel or Single/Single.
    Very rare ocasions I use Series/Single.

I dont know how but I believe that the G&L uses only 1 Switch to select Series/Parallel on both pickups.

Also an important factor is pickup placement. You should discuss this with David, but not at the level of measurements as I did, but at the Level of tone. And you should read the most you can on Pickup Placement.

Also, if you are going to blend Pickups with the Piezo, you need a Buffered blend. And also I could add a Series/Parallel blending for the Pickups, this will have a good effect on the tone when both pickups are on.
    I have to add, that my Cort Curbow 6 , has only 1 Pickup, with no coil selection, And it sounds fine the way it is.

Now.. the Ultra-Weird Control would be like this:
    1) Parallel/Series/Single Coil Switch Each.
    2) Single-Coil selection Switch FOR EACH, Top Coil, Low Coil.
    3) PHASE SWITCH for Each COIL COMBINATION ON EACH PICKUP. (Oh my God , thats the Ultimate-Useless!!)
    4) Series/Parallel BLENDER
    5) Volume Control For Each Pickup before the Blender
    6) Master Volume.
    7) Active/Passive Switch
    9) 18 Volt Electronics
    10) 3 Parametric Bands with Q.
    11) Piezo Bridge with volume controls for each string.
    12) Buffered Blend Magnetic/Piezo
    13)I cant think anymore, Im like drooling, but I know this is Useless!! JUST GET 1 SINGLE COIL PASSIVE PICKUP WITHOUT VOLUME OR TONE!!!
    14) LOL.. Im loosing it..

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Finally, someone who understands!:D

...Yes, but do I run with my inner Luddite or not?

I'm seriously puting some though into a just Two single coils in Mid and bridge positions, a Piezo, and a three band EQ...which is kinda standard, I guess. Maybe just one in Bridge, I don't know...

I do hate blend though, I prefer independant volumes (which I would have on the Piezo, so it would act like another pickup, not a mode unto itself). Why can't I just have a hankering for a P-bass?!:D...no...never that...

This is gonna kill me...more so than the woods...yeesh...

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    hehehe..
    Single Coils?... Pure Tipical Single Coils?
    Do you really like Hum that much?

At least go Single With a Dummy Coil! Ala Nathan East.

Btw, its not that easy to mix Magnetic and Piezo as I believe.
    They have different Impedances and outputs..
    Ask John about Conklin and his piezo.