1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pondering on buying a Dean Guitars Evo XM Bass, any experiences?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TuneSalad666, Mar 9, 2018.

1. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    Pondering on buying a Dean Guitars Evo XM Bass and was wondering if anyone had any experience with one of these short scale budget basses?

The reviews I have been able to find on the net seems generally to be quite positive.

I am personally especially attracted by the short scale, the 24 frets and the fairly flat fretboard radius of 16".

evoxmbassbks.png
    Dean EVO Bass Black Satin

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  2. pudge

pudge

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    I had a brown one.I had no issues with it.It played wel land sounded good.Mixing in a little bridge p.u. w/ the neck wide open worked best for me.If I ever find a sued one cheap i'll pick it up.I could find nothing about it I did'nt like.I'd still hav it but I traded it to a friend for a case he had that I needed.

TuneSalad666 likes this.
  3. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    Sounds good.

Was the impression I got from the reviews I read too.

How is the balance though in terms of neck dive?

4. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

These are short scale (30") so I am pretty sure they are probably balanced pretty well. However, I have no first hand knowledge, so if you can try one before you buy....

TuneSalad666 likes this.
  5. I bought one a few years back. It was very light but I don't recall neck dive. It already had an EMG BTC pot fitted and I strung if with Rotosound TruBass nylon tapes so unless you plan on the same no point in asking me about it's sound :D

Had a lovely white finish,almost flawless. Sold it to a friend,he decided to refinish it and to my horror all sorts of ugly were revealed under the finish. Neck pocket had been chewed up then sweetened out with filler, plenty use of filler on the body. Strangest thing was a hole running from neck pocket to neck pickup rout,my guess was whoever had the task of drilling the hole to feed the hook up wire had the body the wrong way round.

That had to be a one off as there's 1000's of Dean owners and I've never heard anyone else mention stuff like that.

If you find it does neckdive,tape some fishing weights to the end of your strap.

TuneSalad666 likes this.
  6. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Stop on into ------>Dean Club!!!<------
    Some members have this bass if you're still contemplating buying one.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021