1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pondering on investing in a new pair of pickups for my baritone.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Dec 13, 2016.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    So I converted my cheap Epiphone SG Special guiar to a baritone tuned A-A, and as it turned out it actually works really well.

It plays great and sound great acoustically.

I can get it to sound fairly well when run through my EHX Black Finger compressor and adding a bit of chorus and spring reverb from my Zoom B3 multi effect unit into my Trace Elliot bass amp with a 15" speaker, with some adjustment on the build in Eq (mainly cutting the 50 and 100 Hz band around 6 DB and boosting the 500 and 1Khz band about 6 DB), and then running it through the Tuner Output of the bass amp into a tube mic pre amp into my Behringer 12" active PA speaker.

However the stock pickups on the guitar are not too great, the neck one is ok, if a bit too dark and muddy for my taste, and the bridge one run alone is basicly useless with a whimpy thin tone that lacks definition, run together they make a tolerable sound run through the rig I just described.

But I am lacking a bit of clarity and punch and crisp in the tone.

A tone I am sure can be achieved from this instrument, based from how it sounds acoustically.

Now I have pondered on moving the neck pickup to the bridge position, throwing out the stock bridge pickup, and putting a Seymour Duncan SRB-1N Humbucker (made for neck position Rickenbacker bass Rickenbacker Humbucker ) in the neck position, since I have had good results of this producing the kind of clear, punchy and crisp sound on a sub short scale bass I once owned and sometimes tuned as a baritone (A-C).

The question however is how well this pickup would reproduce the upper E and upper octave A on my 6 string baritone, and weather I would be better up investing in a good single coil guitar pickup for the bridge position?

Any suggestions to how I would best be able to produce a crisp, clear, punchy sound on my 6 string baritone, and which pickups to use doing so would be welcome.

The sub short scale bass/some times baritone I mentioned earlier, which I sadly parted with, and which had just the sound I am going for, had the before mentioned Seymour Duncan Rickenbacker pickup in neck position and a Seymour Duncan Hotrail Guitar pickup in the bridge position (Hot Rails Strat).

Would it work for this six string version as well?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    What size pickups does your guitar use? If standard humbucker size, I can enthusiastically recommend using the Wilde L90. It has phenomenal amounts of both clarity and muscle!

NoiseNinja likes this.
  3. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Thank you, I'll look into that.

And yup, standart humbucker size, though I don't mind filling gabs, leeting them be or carving bigger holes, if that is what it takes.

4. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I just been to his homepage, and found them.

To my surprise they were even nicely priced.

It leaves me with a couple of questions though, will I be able to use it both in neck and bridge position, how would they compliment each other?

And they list with inductance values from 2H-8H, what does that mean, how does the value effect the sound and what would be the right choice for me?

5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    The higher the inductance, the higher the output, and the more mid-focused they are. But Bill was a genius, and all of the inductances will have plenty of output and plenty of clarity.

When I emailed Becky, she recommended the 4H for both neck and bridge, so that's what I ordered. And I was not disappointed. Those things are amazing!

Edit: more details here: "Headless" Flying V build

NoiseNinja likes this.