Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pondering the slapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by count_funkula, Dec 17, 2002.

1. I'm trying to learn Norm Stockton's, "The Race". I am new to slapping and had a question. When I'm hearing the muted percussive notes being played in a slap piece, I can't tell if a string is being slapped with the thumb while the left hand mutes the string. Or, if the sound is being created by slapping the left hand down on the strings. Does that make sense?

If you are familiar with this tune maybe you can tell me what Norm is doing.

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ive never heard the song in question, but Id say chances are good that he is slapping the fretboard with his left hand or playing ghost notes with his right to give it that percussive attack. With the 1st choice being the more logical of the two in this case.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Haven't heard the tune in-question, either.

What you're sayin', though, makes total sense.
    IMHO, I would consider practicing BOTH techniques-

1-Thumb("T") the "E"/Slap("S") with the fretting hand(repeat)
    In an 1/8th note rhythm, the Thumbed notes are BOLD(1-2-3-4), the slapped notes are the UPBEATS.
    l1&2&3&4&l
    Then, maybe, you can add a POPPED("P") note on the "& of 2" and the "& of 4". Staying with 1/8th notes, you will have-
    TSTP TSTP

2-Thinking like a drummer & paradiddles & such...
    L= Left Hand
    R= Right hand

RLRR LRLL etc

"R" can = your plucking hand(THUMB)
    "L" can = your fretting hand(SLAP)

So,
    1)Thumb the "E"
    2)SLAP with your fretting hand
    3)Thumb the "E"
    4)Thumb the "E"

5)SLAP with your fretting hand
    6)Thumb the "E"
    7)SLAP with your fretting hand
    8)SLAP with your fretting hand

Bear in mind these are rudiments...IMO, it's nice to have these in your muscle memory. Eventually, please...mix & match, experiment, add pops here & there...whatever, just have fun(k).

;)

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Count, were you at the clinic last Saturday?

5. No!! I missed it!!!

I wanted to go so bad but I had to work.

Did you make it?

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. I was there, so was Jeff Rader, K-Frog, monsterweights, DigMe and a couple of other TB'ers. Man, Norm can play!

7. jim, your technique there is something i've never even considered in my slap style. i usually just go slap/pop crazy with my right(picking) hand, and just do muted dead notes to get the percussive sound. have to try your technique someday...

8. Was the clinic informative? Did you leave with some new ideas?