Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pondering the Sushi

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lowb, Apr 10, 2002.

1. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Hi

I just got hold of Norm Stockton's pondering the Sushi and was wondering what you guys think of his playing and the album?

personally i love it. He's obviously been influenced by MM, but the album seems to have a much more organic sound than Marcus, ie his use of piano, and acustic guitars. And i love his cover of Sting's Roxanne, with a real tasteful slap solo in the middle. Also he's very groove orientated, and seems happy to sit back for the sake of the tune (he's obviously got the licks)

I could go on.............but i won't. I'd like your feedback, As i don't know how well known Norm is.

Peace

2. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Well.............guess i'm talking to myself :( ...........at least i'll have an intelligent conversation with someone who agrees with me :D

It's a shame Norm's album isn't that popular, or maybe people just havn't seen this thread;

Peace

3. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    hey, that cover of "roxanne" sounds intriguing. my friend who is a HUGE sting fan would love to hear that.

could you please post a website address, or tell us where i can order a copy?

thanx.

4. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
  5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Norm's stuff is great! I've got his CD, and have seen him in clinic and really like what he does - as you say, influenced by Marcus, but stays on the right side of smooth... though I have to say, the covers (Roxanne, and the Star Spangled Banner) are my least fave tracks on his CD - his own tunes are much stronger, which has got to be a good thing, when it's so often the other way round with bass player CDs...

Well worth buying says me...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Aha! lowB - just read your user details! No, Pete, you don't look like Otto from the Simpsons... :oops:)

BTW, there's a thread on teaching you might like to chip in on over in my forum... :oops:)

see you soon,

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

7. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    You used my REAL name :eek:

Ah well, i've lost my anonymity..........but gained a talkbass ally :p

I could look like otto.....................i could drive a bus.............i could be cool.....................................................i don't think i would EVER play guitar :D

See you soon Steve

Peace

8. Thought I'd resurrect this thread. I've been listening to Pondering the Sushi for the past week, and I must say that Norm Stockton is a fantastic player. The CD definitely showcases his chops, and I've been really enjoying his writing as well - he's come up with some really catchy melodies. Plus, that MTD tone sounds great - punchy and articulate.

9. +1 Nice CD and Norm is a great player. My MTD is similarly configured, and his tone is my 'gold standard' for a modern slap tone (versus the more 'old school' Marcus single coil sound). Very nice pocket and groove also.

10. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Norm is quite possibly one of the coolest people I've ever had the pleasure to meet and is an awesome musician.

Pondering the Sushi is a great CD. If I recall correctly he is tracking a new CD. I'd certainly buy it if it is as good as his first CD.

Definitely check out his instructional DVDs as well. They're great.

-Eric.

11. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    +1

I'm sending a clip of his CD to whichever builder creates my next bass as a reference.

12. I had the pleasure of attending a bass workshop with Norm Stockton about 10 years ago. This was before he came out with his CD and instructional videos. Real down to earth guy, and he really focused on what I feel are the most important things we do as bass players - being in the pocket and playing tastefully. I only found out about his monster chops years later.