1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pondering the Upgrade: Aguilar GS212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rojo412, Mar 25, 2011.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I just spotted a local seller on the TB classifieds selling an Aguilar GS212 cabinet. That made my bassy sense tingle! So I'm in talks to meet up for a buy. So here's the background...

I have a GK800RB running an Avatar B212 cab and it's treated me really nicely. I friggin' love it, actually.
    On a whim, I bought an MB2-500 because the price was right and I wanted one for a long time. Plugged it into the Avatar, also love it!
    Then, as I usually do, I spot something I want in the classifieds... this GS212. The upgrade is something I'm definitely looking to do. I don't have problems with the old rig (in fact, it'd stay as that rig and I'd leave it in place of another rig at the drummer's house).

So what should I be gaining with the switch from the 800/B212 to the 500/GS212?
    Also, it'd be running 4 ohms, so all 500w into a 600w cab. The current setup is (I'm assuming) about 240w into a 500w cab at 8 ohms. What's that going to do for me?

I am a versatile guy. I play a 5 string, have 2 awesome J basses and just got a Stingray 5. My style of play can range from Level 42-ish funk-jazz to Clutch-ish rock-groove... Then, it may be a latin thang into country... basically, whatever.
    I've found that the GK/Avatar was fine for that, but I'm assuming this would be essentially like that, but better.

Help me out... put me up to 11... I need that extra push over the cliff...

2. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    the GS212 is a great cab!

3. I've been using a GS212 driven either by an SWR SM400s or a Montrose Mm. Eden Metro for a couple of years now for medium (200-500 seat) rooms and outdoor gigs playing classic rock w/ good FOH p.a./monitors with very nice results. The Aggie is very efficient and is relatively lightweight in comparison to other non-neo cabs of its size. Mine seems happiest when given close to its rated 600w. The SM400s doesn't always seem to have quite enough oomph when used outdoors to push the Aggie to its maximum potential, but it is also only putting out 500w @ 4 ohms, I believe. All in all, satisfactory for my needs thusfar.

4. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'd be pushing it with the GK MB2-500 I just got, so about 500w at 4ohm. But I was pushing my Avatar with about 240w at 8ohm... and it was more than adequate.

I'm getting the cab. I don't see why not to!

5. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I think you should. The extra headroom @ 4 OHMS may come in handy someday.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021