1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pontiac to bite the dust now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rustynuts, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Heard on the radio this afternoon that GM's latest plan is to hand over 89% of the company to the UAW and the government and then close down the Pontiac division.

I wonder how that's going to play out?

2. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Heard the same this morning.

Sadly, I think it was bound to happen regardless of the current economic situation. Just too many brands in the market now.

In the early '80's, my girlfriend had a '68 Catalina. What a sled! Best road trip car ever.

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    No offense, but that is one rebadge happy "brand" that needs to go bye bye. Name one model in their lineup that isn't just a light reskin or simple rebadge of another GM offering, or a captive import. And watch out if you say Solstice (opel gt).

4. If GM wants to stay in the car business, I think this needs to be part of that plan. In the end, a streamlined GM with Chevrolet, Cadillac and maybe one other brand is more likely to survive.

Mike

5. The Pontiac G8 (built in Australia by Holden). Unfortunately, that car came along too late in the game. Most automobile magazines gave it great reviews, but i imagine the writing was already on the wall for Pontica by the time this car's paint was drying.

Mike

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thank you. I've been saying this for a while now and some people look at me like I have 3 heads.

SAAB? Bye. They should have been ashamed reskinning a GM SUV as a SAAB too.

Pontiac? Bye

Saturn? Bye. Another marque succumbed to rebadging Opel.

Hummer? Good Riddance to bad rubbish
    GMC? Overhyped Chevy. There used to be a difference in build. Lately, it's just badging.

Sell off the Daewoo acquisition too, and engineer a REAL fuel efficient stateside made small car, instead of reskinning a Leganza or Nubira or whatever nonsense Daewoo named their crap.

7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Missed my edit for the "captive import" segment. Nice car, but really kinda cheating.

8. Agreed on all counts.

Yeah, I missed it. To your Solstice point, that cas was designed as a Pontiac from the start and then rebadged to Saturn and Opel.

Mike

9. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Yeah, they can't Dodge this outcome anymore.

10. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ah, I had no idea, thought it was the Opel first. I retract my statement, thnx Mike.

11. I just kept thinking the value of Firebirds will increase significantly.

12. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Please excuse my ignorance, but how much money do these "light reskinnings" cost the company? It seems to me that these wouldn't be a huge money losers.

13. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Add the cost of importing the vehicles from Australia or wherever....

14. No biggie, your point is still very valid in my opinion.

Well, the issue is that GM offers some vehicles under 2 or 3 different brands. Mechanically, they are the same car or truck. At this point, you are redesigning the same car in an attempt to give it wider appeal (at best) or sustain a historical marque (at worst). Both to no avail. It is money thrown away.

I know an easy argument is the Lexus/Toyota example. In that case, the vehicles are changed sustantially and made to appeal to two completely different income segments. The pricing issue between GM reskins can be almost negligible to the point where it is basically a "styling exercise" and a matter of option packages one brand has that another doesn't.

So, we have 2-3 cars, mechanically identical and priced within a grand or two of eachother. The redesign costs money. The dealer network and brand support is doubled or tripled to market the same car. More money. It's just needless.

I should add that I'm aware that a brand can successfully get more for their investment by making the car appeal to a wider audience, but I just don't see the audience differing that much from Pontiac to Chevy to Saturn. As I said earlier, they'd do well to keep an "everyman" division and a luxury/sport division. Hell, bleed a few of the cars from one to the other...but make the difference worth the dollar.

Mike

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    If it was me I'd get rid of the Chevy truck line and sell them as GMC's instead. That way you could sell trucks at every GM dealership.

16. Not a bad idea. Plus, you probably won't hear anyone complaining about having to buy a brand that was marketed as better, whereas the opposite might not be true.

Mike

17. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Late to the party....

Which GM cars are re-badged Daewoos? The Aero or Aveo or whatever?

I have a plan that would save GM. Modernize and re-release the Chevette.

18. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I heard GM was ditching Buick too. I thought this was their top selling line.

I've also wondered why Chevy and GMC Trucks were marketed as different when they look to be identical. Unless it's the gearing - I never owned a Jimmy. I used to LOVE little Chevy trucks. Punchy and fast as all get out. Had electrical issues though.

Now I drive a Toy Tacoma. Not as fun, but well made.

19. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, the Aveo. Chevy bought the tooling for Daewoo, so I would have imagined their best case, long term plan may have been to revamp all their platforms... And Mike N, that is a great idea re: the GMC trucks. Nix the Chevy truck line and really make the GMC Pro-Grade mean something.

20. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I didn't mention them because I thought the same thing, tho admittedly I've had disparaiging things to say about that brand lately too. Pretty sad when the "pepe" marque is your best seller.