Pontiac Vibe

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Jan 25, 2006.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Thinking about picking one of these up to replace the El Camino. I love the Elkie dearly but gas milage is killing me, plus it needs some work done that I can't afford. Just dropped a new tranny in it (just in time to sell unfortunately) and frankly, I've put a good amount of moolah in the car, and I'm afraid it's going to cost me much more in the long run.

I'm a General Motors guy, the Vibe was a pretty much clear cut winner considering it's their only REAL hatchback. Need to fit in an upright bass, or a 410/115 stack plus 6 space rack.

Anyone think of a good reason for me to look elsewhere?

And yes, I'm aware of the Matrix as well, I'm not as big a fan of the styling.
  2. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Dude, don't mention that or you'll be 're-educated'....:bag:

Vibe made in the same plant, and identical model as the Toyota. If you like the styling better, go for it. What's not to like? Hatchback gobbles up the payload, good mileage, AWD capable...
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I like these too. Its in the running for my next vehicle, along with a few others including the Honda Element.
  4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Good call.

I heart my Toyota Matrix. Wouldn't mind a bigger engine, but wouldn't want to sacrifice mileage.

5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My car's gas mileage is killing me too. On top of having a v6, something is wrong with it, making it get less gas mileage than it should. Im getting liek 14! and its a camry!
  6. Pontiac eh? Have you considered the Solstice? :p
  7. dvon1981

Jan 12, 2006
    subaru impreza wagon. i have one and can pack alot of stuff with seats folded down(very easy to do btw)
  8. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Just got "the call" that my 2006 Matrix just arrived and is ready to be picked up. You're right, the Vibe is the same powertrain, same basic interior, only thing different is that they share no outer body pieces. I'm partial to the Matrix styling, but that's just personal taste. They both have the bullet-proof 1.8L Corolla engine. I think you'll like it. Can't wait to get mine (has to wait until Friday as I'm leaving town tonight on business).
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm getting less than that with my gas guzzling V8.
  10. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Just a general suggestion that probably won't lead you away from GM, but check out the PT Cruiser if you fee like it. It's got 4 cyl mileage but the interior capacity of a small SUV, especially if you take the rear seats out. It also looks heaps better than any GM vehicle currently out there...

(I'm a Ford guy, BTW).
  11. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

Oww... while I certainly respect your right to your opinion, I find the PT Cruiser one the ugliest cars in the history of the human race.
  12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    What does it need and how much you going to sell it for?
  13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Imo and ime the PT's are junk.
  14. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    PM comin' your way.
  15. toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    good call on the vibe, same as amatrix, but you can usually get one for less because it says pontiac on it...
  16. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    stoopid question from non car guy...

Chevy HHR ?
  17. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Really not a big fan of the styling. Could be worse, but it screams PT Cruiser.
  18. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Change the airfilter:)
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Cripe, my Land Cruiser does better than that.
  20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am considering getting a PT Cruiser, what don't you like about it? I don't know anybody who bought one, so I have no first or second hand experience.