Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

POOF...there goes my reputation.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MJ5150, Apr 9, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Our band has a gig lined up for 7PM tonight. I confirmed with the owners of the coffee shop earlier this week. They put up some signs advertising the event, placed an ad in the local paper announcing our gig, and ordered extra coffee, and snacks.

Five minutes ago, I get a phone call from the guitar player................he can't make it. He has to cancel because of work.

He knew about this gig for over a month, I spoke to him about it Wednesday night. He confirmed he would make it. We went over the setlist last night to make sure we were all comfortable with it.

I am so upset right now....man, I am TICKED!

-Mike

Zodion likes this.
  2. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Doh!

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Do it without him. Fire him tomorrow.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    jondog....I wish I could, but I can't round up a guitar player at this hour. It wouldn't sound right with a bass and drums only. We don't sing, just background music.

But yeah, he is fired. I told him that before I shattered my phone when I slammed it down.

-Mike

Zodion likes this.
  5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    A bass and drum jam is better than no entertainment at all, go for it!

Zodion likes this.
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Very, very frustrating. It is so difficult to get a group of musicians together who all have the same committment, motivation and vision for the band.

Just curious. Did your guitarist ever indicate to the others in your band that his work could interfere with plans to gig or that his work takes priority over the band or was this the first time he ever had such a conflict?

The degree of your surprise at his announcement would seem to indicate that he has never been fully open about his other committments. Or it may be that he isn't really working, but instead is suffering a severe last minute attack of stage fright.

The first problem you probably can't change. If his problem lack of confidence maybe you and the others can help him work through it. Good luck.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Boplicity......He mentioned his heavy work load when he first committed to this band. I explained to him that I can find another guitar player if he is not comfortable making the committment. He reassured us several times that his job would not interfere. He played the first gig no problem. I offered him an out again after that when he said he had a big job coming up. Earlier this week, we spoke by phone and he told me he was ready for tonight, and he confirmed he would be able to make it. He owns his own construction company, so he couldn't blame his boss for making him work late.

I was totally surprised by his phone call. He was upfront about his workload from day one, and I made it easy for him to leave if he chose to. He continually reassured us it would not be a problem. I have ran my own construction company in the past, so I know a general contractor can be harder to deal with than the meanest boss. So, I do give him a little slack.

Personally, I think he just bit off more than he could chew, and overestimated his workload, and the ability of his crew to get it done in time. We are having a face to face meeting later tonight to discuss this. I just got back from the coffeeshop, many disappointed people. That bothers me.

-Mike

Zodion likes this.
  8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Welcome to the world of the gigging musician. :( It is extremely frustrating and disappointing when committed, serious, and responsible bandmates are compromised like this, and I understand exactly where you're coming from. Nevertheless, give the guy the benefit of the doubt, as he may not have been able to avoid missing the gig. But....if he is in a position where he isn't able to predict or control his hours, you might need to look for someone who is. Best of luck with your situation.

9. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    At least you got a call. The flakiness if many musicians really annoys me. When I was leading a band and playing guitar, I honestly never had any trouble with the bass player. The drummer and other guitarist were of course, flakey as hell. That always seems to be the case. I haven't been in a single band that didn't have the ultra-flakey elements. Where do these people get the idea that they can screw over and piss off their bandmates and get away with it?

I'm sorry as I'm also pissed. The drummer for my cover band has been making everyone move practices to work with his schedule. We all do it because we want to play. We already had scheduled our other activities around the practice times to make things work, but some people just have no remorse. With gigging it's even worse because you have the club owner who you have to explain things to.

I find this occurs in much more than music. Is it just human nature, or what? I care about everyone that is in my life. I care about their time and their feelings. I always try to be on time and keep things planned out way in advance. However what do people give in return? Calling the same day to put off practice for first 2, then 6, then 8 hours. Wasted my entire day, and they still don't care. And these are my FRIENDS. People say find new friends then, well I moved to a different place, made a whole bunch of new friends and BAM, same thing.

Humanity makes me tired.

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Im going to call this band management.

Sorry to hear of the probs. It is the things such as this that make being a musician not so desirrable from time to to time.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hmmmm...your drummer sounds like our guitar player. We repeatedly move practice for him. Why? Because me and the drummer WANT to play. This guitar player is the best guitar player I have ever heard short of a touring pro. So, each week we change, and re-arrange our schedules so something works out for him. I can only do this so many times a week before the wife and kids start asking if the band controls my life.

I have to agree 100% with your final comment in that paragraph.....walking into the spot and explaining to the owner why our band won't be there in an hour after he spent time and money promoting us is a HORRIBLE feeling. I felt like a complete idiot last night. Some people were already there to listen to us too!

I also tried the "get new friends/guitar player" advice. You are right, it's everywhere.

-Mike

12. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    The solution is that bass players have to take up all the other instruments and start bands together. It's obvious we're the only responsible people out there. Then we can leave all the egos and flakes behind and rock out :p

Really though, how many of you other TBers find this to be a common problem?

Zodion likes this.
  13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    That's rough. Here is a thought, did you know another band that could have taken the gig on short notice? Explain to the owner about your unexpected problem and that you won't leave them high and dry.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey natrab......good idea. I have always been 100% committed to the three bands I have been in. I have managed to play with the same drummer in all three bands, and he is as committed as I am. I hate to stereotype, but it always does seem to be the snobby guitar player getting in the way of a good thing. It was the guitar player who bailed on the first band I played in. But it was the singer in the last one.

Another band? No, I do not. This gig is kind of different from others. I know the people that own the place. They don't have bands come in and play. It is a coffee shop. This whole band thing was my idea, and they went for it. They don't want the place to turn into a club, with all kinds of bands playing. They just want us to play once or twice a month.

-Mike

15. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm doing it, I've found another bassplayer I know around here. I'm gonna play gu*tar and do vocals. Now I just need a bassplayer who can drum. :ninja:

Zodion likes this.
  16. NATRAB- check your PM please....

yah, I had something like that happen to me once too...we were supposed to play a gig opening for Keller Williams (one of my musical heroes) and our singer/rhythm guitarist told us a week before that he couldn't do it because he was going to the beach....we had known about the show for 2 months!!!
    oh well stuff happens.

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Fire him. Once you agree to committ for a date, ALL must keep their word. Don't give him the chance to do this to you twice.

18. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I agree with the above post. I have went through something similar. Get rid of him, because he will continue to make practices rough, and invariably back out of another gig. Even if he is the best guitar player you have heard, he is just going to make things tough for you.

19. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'm running into a similar situation just to do a Video taping for AccessTV. Everybody's schedule only allows them to practice about once a month, if then, and I know that to get to a point where we don't embarass ourselves, we need to practice at least 3 times a week for at least 2 months. Ain't gonna happen...

20. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    If he really wanted to be there....he would!