Poor College Kid Seeks Medical Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BaroqueBass, Feb 6, 2004.

1. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    I know this isn't a doctor's office, but I'm just asking advice. :)

A few months ago I totally twisted my ankle while running, (stepped on an acorn), and when the ankle finally healed, it healed in a funky position, such that now my ankle, tibia, knee, femur, etc, are all twisting inwards. This has led to massive atrophying in my quadriceps. But the thing that bugggs me beyond belief is if I squat down, you can hear the most incredible cracking sound in my knee; as in, it's LOUD. My kneecap is most definitely out of its "groove," but as there isn't any pain, i haven't been too motivated to get it looked at.

Should I go to the doctor's RIGHT now? Or do I have the luxury of waiting a bit. (no insurance right now)
  2. i tihnk you've answered that yourself!

"everything has healed *inwards*"

that cracking, may also be a sign or a broken bone... g'luck. ;)

hehe, run boy! run! :hyper: :oops:
  3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    What kind of question is this!!! You only have one body for the rest of you life!!! Get your a$$ to the doc. How cool would it be to have a lame leg at 30. arthritis so bad you can't walk at 50?
  4. Doesn't your school offer student insurance? Nobody can afford to be without health insurance, no matter how healthy they might be.
  5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Coming from someone who's experienced the same thing....

Do you work out regularly, especially since you hurt it?

If at one time you had a regular workout schedule that you stopped when you hurt your knee, that is most likely the cause of the popping. Weak muscles cause weak tendons and ligaments which are most likely the cause of this (Dr. Mike?).

As for the "healing inward" bit...I don't know much about that. Do you have any friends in the medical field whom you could contact to just take a look at it? They would be able to tell you more just by looking at something like that than anyone here could tell you most likely.

If it were me, I would try doing stretches as long as there is no pain.
  6. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Get looked at. Really. Note the lack of a smiley.
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Get it looked at right away. If there is something wrong, the longer you wait the worse it will get. It can even get to the point where the damage can't be repaired. When I was in high school one of my friends broke his right thumb. He didn't get it looked at since it didn't hurt much. Well after about a month he still couldn't use his thumb so he went to the doctor, and it turned out the bone had fused in the wrong position. Basically, there was nothing that could be done, and now he doesn't have any strength in his thumb. Sucks for him. Hope the same doesn't happen to you.
  8. If the bones in your leg have actually shifted orientation to compensate for the ankle injury, you're altering your gait, which will eventually damage your knee and hip, not to mention lower back, which will eventually throw everything out of balance. Wait to get to the hospital if you want to be wheelchair bound or an amputee.
  9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I'm not a doctor (yet ;) ), but my limited knowledge tells me that whoever told him that is somewhat full of it.

A leg that doesn't properly fuse together can be very difficult to fix, but something such as a thumb can be fixed fairly easily, I believe. It WOULD require breaking the thumb agian so that the bone can be set properly.

*Paging Dr. Mulcahy. Dr. Mulcahy to Off Topic please!*
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Yes, I can see how his story might raise an eyebrow or two. But that is what he told me and I don't really have any evidence to refute his claims. But as far as not having any strength in his thumb, that is true. The guy had to quit playing guitar among other things because of it.

Either way, the moral of the story is for BaroqueBass to get his leg looked at by a physician.
  11. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I agree with the above stated advice, get it looked at. Without benefit of pictures, its very hard to say what may have happened. There is most assuredly some soft tissue damage, to what degree I cant say, but these type injuries are much tougher to diagnose initially. Any change in the orientation and subsequent atrophy is certainly cause for concern.

A trip to the Orthopod is in order here, and dont wait.

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    The doc has spoken ;) :D
  13. Dr. Mulcahy's advice is right on. And if you'd like a second opinion, here it is. Have the leg looked at and imaged, sooner rather than later.

Lifelong disabilities are much more difficult to work with than temporary medical payments.
  14. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Doesn't your school have a Student Health Center????
  15. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Survey Says: GET A DOC TO LOOK AT IT!

Thanks for the advice guys (and any girls I might not know about.) :) I'll head off to school and see what I can do. A lifetime of athritis/disability doesn't sound too appealing right now. :D