Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poor Fieldy :(

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TheFrizzleFry, Apr 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Wow, I was just cruising through these boards. God knows how many anti-Fieldy messages there have been. So he's not the most talented bassist of all time, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have feelings? I wonder if Fieldy has ever been on this site? If he made it to the message boards he'd probably cry. But maybe Fieldy is holding back for the band, some people do that. Maybe Fieldy is really talented (Oh wait, I'm not on the humor boards am I?). But seriously, I think there are worse bassist. AC/DC's bassist (cliff williams?) SUX! Listen to the song "Thunderstruck" you'll understand completely. I know AC/DC is really basic except Angus, but DAMN, he really sucks. The only AC/DC songs with cool bass "Squealer" "Sin City" "Rock your heart out" and they are not even remotely hard. So the moral of today's story is, at least fieldy is keeping up with the band, it may sound like "click click clickity click clack" but at least it's not "bump bump bump bump bump bump". Well I've rambled on about nothing long enough.

2. I have to agree with what you're saying about Fieldy getting a really hard time. Before i started listening to really good bassists i thought he was really good. Obviously he isnt, but he isnt the worst.

Anyway, this could become an anti-Fieldy thread really quickly, so im saying nothing more.

I dont really listen to AC/DC much, so i cant really agree or disagree with what you're saying about their bassist.

3. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I never thought Fieldy was bad, I think people are bashing him because they hate Korn alltogether. I can understand them cuz they have pretty big egos and they "went MTV ". Their first album is good though, people should check it out. The other three arent relaly worth the price of a cd ...

/lovebown

4. I doubt he even cares. He's too busy living in his mansion. Who needs talent when you have millions.. lmao. :D but he at least has some sort of rhythm! hehe

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Why should he care?
    When you're successful you'll have to get used to all the bad-mouthing and stuff.
    But he's in a wildly successful and popular band, tours the world and probably never has to worry about money ever again. He's living his (our?) dream, considering that it's a fairly small price to pay.
    He may have things to worry about, but not that...

And I doubt he bothers to read that stuff in forums...

This reminds me of the people slagging id software's John Carmack (Doom, Quake) in a forum I visited some days ago. Most of those people don't even know how to program their VCR :rolleyes: , they just bitch cause he's successful.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    He's no worse than 99% of all other rock/metal bassists out there. I think he fits the band sound quite well, really percussive. I agree, if I were Fieldy I would not care at all what a bunch of random not famous (I know -w/a few exceptions) people say on a B.B. You guys should pick on that slug from guns and roses, now he SUCKS. Duff McIsuck or something like that. -B

P.S. - I guess we could all spend this time practicing or something....

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Nahhh! he´s laughting all the way to the bank!

8. Well,FrizzleFry I have to agree with what you are saying.There is a lot of Fieldy bashing these days.
    Personally,I like Korn and thing Fieldy does a good job in the context of his band.Usually I don`t voice my personal opinons about so and so ...not into getting into a pissing contest with anyone(at least not without a good reason! ;) )

I have a few of Korn`s cds and will probably get the others.I dig the band and their sound.Even think Fieldy`s signature (click clickity click)sound works well with the music they play.He(Fieldy)does`nt come to mind when I think of "great bassists of our century"not by a long shot.He is successful with the band and you have to give some credit for that,wheather you like his music or not is another matter.

Much of the negative stuff I take with a grain of salt.Most ppl here are just stating their personal view and preferences,which is kewl....as long as they respect other`s opinions/viewpoints.

I`ve run off at the mouth again,have`nt I? :D

Cheers!
    Usul

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah ... maybe Fieldy is like Picasso. Picasso was a fantastic artist, but you'd never know it by looking at his paintings.

10. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i'll take duff mckagan and cliff williams over fieldy anyday of the week. :D

11. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    It is kinda ****ed up picking on the guy. Everyone just seems to hate Fieldy not just his band and his bass playing. So what if he is living the American dream , anyone would love to. There are far worse out there so you guys should give him a break. I dont personally listen to Korn but I still think justice is needed. I sometimes hear that Keanu Reeves is a **** bassist in his band Dogstar, have any of you heard his playing? What do you think?

12. "So what if he is living the American dream"

American Dream... pah!

I'm in the UK, I have that dream and it has nothing to do with America... I'd sell out totally for money... actually I wouldnt sell out at all, but it helps my arguement.

Personally, I slate Fieldy because, in my opnion he looks like a prick. I like to judge people on their appearances, because I see nothing better to judge them on, I'm a very shallow person.

Actually that's a lie too, from what I've seen/heard of Korn I've not made a decision yet, but I wouldnt worry about upsetting the guy he's minted and we're not!

Basically, anything that gets said on these boards is not neccessarily what a person would say if face to face with Fieldy or whatever. Famous people obvioulsy know that and probably don't give a monkeys what poor dreaming scum like us think anyhow.

If I were rich and famous, yes it may hurt to hear people slag you at first, but when it comes down to it, Fieldy is a lucky guy who gets to make (more than) a living playing music and part of the price is having people give you grief.

13. and whether he's actually talented or not is actually irrelevant.

14. Cliff Williams does not suck.

15. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    yeeeeeeeeeeah he does

16. The only "cool" bass lines in YOUR opinion.

So a bass line has to be "hard" to be good and a bass player who plays simple lines sucks. Got it! Now I know the secret to success!

17. Okay, I've had enough of this Fieldy bashing thing! ..living the high life - in his mansion - doesn't care if he sucks - never reads forums online. Enough, I tell you. I didn't want anybody here to know, but..... I am Fieldy, in disguise. So stop talking about me like I was some movie character.

Ok. I'm done. I feel better, now that it's out in the open. :)

18. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Williams just didn't work with the band, most AC/DC songs he stayed on 1 note for the whole song! If you don't belive me... listen to Thunderstruck. In my head when I listen to the lead before the bass kicks in I can hear a cool bass line, but instead, Cliff just stays on the B (I think) through at least half of the song. In my opinion, simplicity is sometimes the key to a little thing I like to call "Kickassitude". Example... Smoke on the Water, the main guitar riff is pretty basic, but if you play it, anyone who gets music from anything but TRL could be like "SMOKE ON THE WATER DUDE!! SWEET" and it's a kick ass riff. Same with bass... Comfortably Numb, simple bass line, but awesome. But wanna know what is differs from Roger Waters and Cliff Williams? Roger plays with the band.

19. You've gotta be joking. Cliff Williams doesn't play with the band? Exactly how many AC/DC songs have you heard anyhow? You keep going back to Thunderstruck. You know, Cliff has played on about 15 AC/DC albums. So you hate his bass line on Thunderstruck. Big deal. Go listen to Powerage or Highway To Hell.

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think they just mean that in their opinion Cliff Williams is not very exciting. I don't like him either, AC/DC is based around the guitar. That's an opinion. Cliff Williams is great at what he does and for what his apparent place in the scheme of things is. As Everyone knows, Angus is the hero in that band, and maybe Bon Scott if he were alive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.