1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poor fret or technique problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SnuffdaCrimeDog, Nov 2, 2006.

1. SnuffdaCrimeDog

SnuffdaCrimeDog

Jul 24, 2006
    Ok I've been playing for a decent amount of time. Ive got some techniqure down and other parts are kinda skecthy. My action is decently high, but not high enough that it reck the tone of the note, and my neck is set up well with a little bit of relief to the neck. Now when I play, slap or, pick on the 4th fret or the G# I get a decent amount of buzz. I posted a question earlier about the buzz, but now I'm starting to wonder if it me thats the problem. I've kind assumed every little buzz and bad sound on my bass was my bass's fault, but I have a pretty nice Fender Jazz Bass, and like I said it set-up pretty well. Now when I pluck with my fingers I am pretty decent, but picking and slapping(Flea's style, with the thumb vertical to the string) sounds really bad. It not too bad anywere else on my neck although I still get some buzz here and there. But it especially bad on the 4th frett of the E-string. Now is this a technique problem or a bass problem. I just kinda want a opinion and some insight from some guy who have been playing for a while.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It's hard to tell without watching you play. Could be either or both. Go to a teacher who specializes in that sort of thing. If he's any good, he'll be able to spot it.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021