Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poor Live Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Jun 7, 2001.

1. For the longest time now my live sound has been fairly poor and I was wondering where my weakness was. I think it lies within my speakers, but I would like some other opinions on this. I have a Carvin PB300 head and a Peavey 4x10TX cab. When I play my basses through my head into a recording device or headphones, its sounds pretty good and I feel like I have a considerable amount of control. The same goes when I play in my home with the amp dialed in at 1 or 2. However, once I crank the volume I feel my low end becomes more of a flat mid-rangy sound with no growl or depth. What I would like is a deep, growling low end with bright highs.

Does this sound like a Speaker issue, an Amp issue, or do I need to replace both? Another thing to ponder on is the Cab is 8ohms with 350watts RMS and my amp only puts out 150watts at 8ohms. Could this have anything to do with this problem?
    Thanks,
    Shawn

2. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    It sounds to me like you just don't have enough power. 150 watts is pretty weak for a live bass rig.

You might see if you can find a 4 ohm cabinet to try with your amp, and maybe a more powerful amp to try with your current cabinet. Try both options and see what results you get.

3. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

sounds like you are pushing your head, 150 watts is not alot of power for a fat sound, you can add a 15 cab and drop to 4 ohms I think that would give you bottom and more DBs where you need it,

4. The Peavey 410 TX is a good cab but quite inefficient. It takes lots of driving to get it to sound good. I think you need a more powerful amp. The tone of the 410 TX is quite scooped, not at all like the sound you describe. Sounds like your amp is clipping to me.

5. I think it's heavily underpowered. You could rewire the 410TX to make it 4 ohms.

If found that cab very scooped and too hi-fi.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Hi-fi?! Peavey?? :p

7. I don't agree. You can't rewire an 8 ohms 4x10 to 4 ohms - it would mean replacing all four speakers. You could change it to 2 ohms or to 32 ohms. Both not an option I think.

8. Whoops.

9. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I had the same problem when I ran a 200W Hartke head into my 2-15 cab rated at 400W. I upgraded to my current 400W Hughes&Kettner head and I'm very happy since :)

150W is too little power IMHO.
    Amps sound weaker when they are pushed close to their limit (i.e. if there's no headroom anymore). Even if the amp is not yet clipping ('farting') it just sounds bad.
    Bottom line: if you want solid low end and punchy attacks you need headroom to spare.

Matthias