1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Poor man's J retro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    It's likely that sometime in the future I would like to get a preamp, preferably an onboard for my J bass. I've heard great things about the J retro, but I'm kind of a tightwad :smug: . I'd like something with a sweepable mid that doesn't cost as much as a retro. Are there any others like that that will fit in a J bass without any mod?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    not that I know of. The aguilar obp-3 can do a sweep between 400 and 800hz, not as wide a range as the j/u-retro. Also, you'll need to route some room in a standard J cavity for the obp-3.
    If you're spending money on a preamp, it's worth it to get a good one. Otherwise, a cheap one could affect your sound for the worse, and then it's a false economy.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Hold out for a J Retro, it is worth it. If you keep your eyes open, they can be spotted on the used market from time to time.

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I sometimes get refurbs in stock. If I get a defective unit back in from a retailer or customer I replace it out of stock and send the defective unit back to John East for repair then sell them off at half price with full warranty. Doesn't happen often but I do get them once in a while.

I don't see the prices of new ones coming down anytime soon given the weak US Dollar vs UK Pound though.

Even at $299 a unit they are my lowest profit margin product. :(

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Now that you mention the price, I just realized...I'm suprised Behringer hasn't taken a stab at copying it...

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You don't want to cut corners in this department. If you want a J-Retro, get one. Regret is more expensive than getting the real thing.

Get one from the Dude when you are ready.

-Mike

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Dude, how do we find out when this happens? I'd like to get on this waiting list. :hyper:

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    You might want to keep an eye out on the J-Retro forum that's linked in off the new factory website.

http://www.east-uk.com/

John has done a name change from "E-Pro" to "East Preamps" and has a brand new website.

It now lists all the worldwide J-Retro dealers.