Poor man's J retro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    It's likely that sometime in the future I would like to get a preamp, preferably an onboard for my J bass. I've heard great things about the J retro, but I'm kind of a tightwad :smug: . I'd like something with a sweepable mid that doesn't cost as much as a retro. Are there any others like that that will fit in a J bass without any mod?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    not that I know of. The aguilar obp-3 can do a sweep between 400 and 800hz, not as wide a range as the j/u-retro. Also, you'll need to route some room in a standard J cavity for the obp-3.
    If you're spending money on a preamp, it's worth it to get a good one. Otherwise, a cheap one could affect your sound for the worse, and then it's a false economy.
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Hold out for a J Retro, it is worth it. If you keep your eyes open, they can be spotted on the used market from time to time.
  4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I sometimes get refurbs in stock. If I get a defective unit back in from a retailer or customer I replace it out of stock and send the defective unit back to John East for repair then sell them off at half price with full warranty. Doesn't happen often but I do get them once in a while.

I don't see the prices of new ones coming down anytime soon given the weak US Dollar vs UK Pound though.

Even at $299 a unit they are my lowest profit margin product. :(
  5. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Now that you mention the price, I just realized...I'm suprised Behringer hasn't taken a stab at copying it...
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You don't want to cut corners in this department. If you want a J-Retro, get one. Regret is more expensive than getting the real thing.

Get one from the Dude when you are ready.

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Dude, how do we find out when this happens? I'd like to get on this waiting list. :hyper:
  8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    You might want to keep an eye out on the J-Retro forum that's linked in off the new factory website.

John has done a name change from "E-Pro" to "East Preamps" and has a brand new website.

It now lists all the worldwide J-Retro dealers.