Poor man's Leatherman, surprised

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by andruca, Apr 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Don't know if any of you is into multi-tools. Me personally not much, except for my 15 y/o Victorinox CyberTool34 (which I recently "refurbished", cleaned, lubed, put new scales -had one broken-, got some lost parts -mini screwdriver, scissors' spring, scewdriver bits-). Been using it often for a variety of tasks and am really happy with it. But in some occasions (usually while gigging) I could use a bigger tool. Not enough times for me to justify investing the necessary kind of money for a real Leatherman really. Some weeks ago, browsing thru' Amazon, I ran into this GANZO brand and pulled the trigger on a G202 tool for a mere 13.89€ (a comparable Leatherman tool goes for about 100€ 'round here, and those don't ever show up used).

I know I can't expect top quality without spending the cash, still, for the non professional/less than intensive use I intend for the thing I'm quite surprised at this Ganzo tool's quality. There's some details, things don't go in and out as smoothly as on a Leatherman tool, nor has locks for keeping blades and such open. But other than that it's a pretty decent tool. I've had it only for a couple weeks, but I've done some intentionally nasty stuff to the blades, the pliers (crushing things, cutting some THICK wires) and the screwdriver bits and they perfectly kept up without damage or looseness.

Not affiliated with Ganzo, Leatherman nor anybody, just like to share good bang for the buck when I run into it.

Multi-Tool Ganzo G202 online catalog ganzoknife.com, description of Multi-Tool Ganzo G202, characteristics Multi-Tool Ganzo G202

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Looks great. Leatherman stuff is really expensive these days...nice to see some alternatives.

MJ5150 and andruca like this.
  3. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i got my leatherman on ebay, because it was seized by security and put up for auction at a reasonable price

BioDriver and andruca like this.
  4. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    Have you ever seen the movie 127 Hours? That guy had some things to say about budget tools.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    andruca likes this.
  5. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Inactive

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    I hate those things, a mate has one strapped to his belt at all times and annoyingly whips it out if anyone mentions wanting any kind of tool...!
    I think these are hopeless and totally lame, like most tricky tricky things that allegedly do lots of stuff, they don't do anything very well...a big 'nah...' from me...

andruca likes this.
  6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Well...
    I like the fact that it's 440 stainless; a good steel for knives, provided it's not over-hardened. Which unfortunately, too many makers (Buck, for instance) like to do..
    However, for Me, it's got too much stuff on it. Which, unfortunately, multi-tool makers tend to do a lot. Just because you can cram 147 tools into a.. thing.. that barely fits a person's hand, doesn't mean you should. Yeah, some people will buy them, but almost nobody will carry it - or use it. Which sorta defeats the purpose...
    And, yeah, IMO that one's teetering on the edge of "Too big to carry". Mainly because of the awkward shape when it's folded..
    But, you're not me, and if it's just the thing you were looking for? Hey, that's great. Personally, I have an old, 1st generation "military" Leatherman Tool that I bought when I was a Combat Engineer. Not a lot of tools in it, but I used every one of them - a lot. The knife blade will hold an edge like a razor (actually won a bet once, by shaving with it); and it had one other very useful feature - an explosive detonator cap crimper in the plier jaws. Very handy for a Combat Engineer - and something Leatherman dropped many, many years ago. Can't imagine why...:whistle:
    Anyway.. that looks like a nice, well made tool; enjoy!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    I lost my old Leatherman Wave so I bought a new one. It seems flimsier than my old one, but I like how the smaller tools - screwdrivers and such - lock now. Still, I hope I find my old one.

andruca likes this.
  8. I've had an original Supertool about 20 years now. I carry it with me most days

andruca likes this.
  9. Amazon search comes up with a lot of Firebird F202 by Ganzo. Are they knockoffs of knockoffs?

10. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Cool. Thanks for the recommendation.

andruca likes this.
  11. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I totally see your point. I only consider multitools gigbag pocket material, just a versatile aid for occasional light emergency work. A multitool and a soldering iron in my gigbag can take care of 99% of my live gigging contingencies. OTOH, my Victorinox CyberTool with its torx bits (+D-SUB) is my #1 tool for disassembling computers.

I feel your pain, my CyberTool was lost for some 4 years, luckily found it back some months ago. That's when I decided to restore it.

Before...
    vic1.jpg

After (stored bits are still "intruders", a local knife shop is on the lookout for some legit Victx replacements for me)...
    vic2.jpg

D M C likes this.
  12. IME, if you're anything other than an outdoorsman, a Leatherman or similarly sized multitool is mostly extra bulk in your pocket for a tool that could be done better by a cheap tool kit that you could keep in your car, and a pocket knife. I've found there aren't many people, even of those who own them in my line of work, that carry them outside of work. Some people just find that utility and sense of diligence is worth the extra bulk, IME, it doesn't come in handy enough to justify outside of an outdoorsman or similar context where a toolkit in your car isn't similarly viable.

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

...and you lost me. With any serious use, that's an accident waiting to happen. Don't get that blade too sharp.

andruca likes this.
  14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    At least you aren't angry about it......that's a lot of vitriol over a tool.

They are what they are; a compromise when you need something compact and portable. I use mine often, although I can't say I've ever strapped it to my belt. If I ever see a guy giving me the stink eye while I'm using it, I'll be sure to come over and say hi to you. ;)

D M C and Pug the Pig like this.
  15. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Certainly the weakest point. OTOH you can have the 301/302 models (some 25€ 'round here) which comes with locking, wish I had researched more before buying, I would have probably spent the extra 10€.

guy n. cognito likes this.
  16. D M C

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    I keep my Leatherman on my belt all the time and I cannot count how often I reach for it. This is why I missed my lost one and was compelled to get a new one. It is indispensable to me.

S-Bigbottom and andruca like this.
  17. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    TSA is good for cheap knives and funny Instagram posts, so it's not a complete waste of DHS money.

MJ5150 and mpdd like this.
  18. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Inactive

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    I can of course see how these are handy for some folks..but as someone else said, I've got lots of tools in my truck for most eventualities.
    I really don't like folding tools at all, they have a way of folding when you don't want them to, I've had bits of finger sliced by stoopid little penknives on several occasions..
    If i was going in the wild, further afield from the vehicle for any length of time, I'd pack a proper knife and make a small roll of tools I think would actually be useful for whatever 'mission' this was..

19. I'm certainly not everybody, I've just found that if I'm in the field I bring my Gerber. If not, I'm okay with walking to the car for a generic tool set in the odd time it comes in handy. I apologize, I suppose I should have said YMMV, or tried to come off as less objective.

20. D M C

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    I didn’t mean to sound angry about your post. I was just making a rebuttal. You have no need to apologize. To each his own.

pie_man_25 likes this.