1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Poor Man's Meyer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    Meyer cabs are way out of my range, I specifically like the power speaker/monitors...anybody know a cheaper alternative that sound sorta similar?

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Meyer cabs are pretty much PA cabs right? So I'd be looking at normal-person priced PA gear.

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Check www.apogeesound.com

There's really nothing much that's going to satisfy your Meyer Sound cravings, though. Standard PA gear isn't going to cut it, and the high end from any company ain't cheap. Just less expensive.

4. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    They are hardly "poor man's" cabs, but the new Bergantino IP series cabs are a much less expensive alternative to the Meyer cabs...they are powered bass cabs with DSP front ends...

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Agreed, the Bergantino IP series are the less expensive, but still majorly kick-butt, alternative to the Meyer powered cabs.

Tom.

7. I have ben a die hard Meyer user in touring rigs and corporate one offs for years and I have spent a considerable amount of time and money (including buying my own PSM-2, THE best stage wedge monitor there has ever been!!! YES even better than Clair CBA's) and I can emphatically say.....NO! You can not find anything that will get close to the Meyer gear for 80% of the same money. Keep in mind that the Meyer stuff has the amp, processing, alignment, and limiting in the box which is pretty nice chunk of change on top of a great design in a box that is made to last through pretty much anything. I got a weather rated version of my monitor when I bought it and I have literally DUMPED rain out of the thing and cased it up and gone on to the next gig, take it out of the case, send signal and AC to it and BAM! No worse for wear. The great thing is I dragged it everywhere and NEVER had a single issue with any of the components in 6 years of heavy use. I lost mine in a fire and if I have need of a wedge anytime in the future I will buy another one!

It is designed as a wedge but it can be set up to work as a fill and I have used it with a Demeter HBP-1 and an Aggie 680 in a pinch with great results. You can also plug into ANY AC anywhere in the world and the thing will work! Amazing products and John Meyer has a well deserved reputation for building the finest Sound Reinforcement (and Studio too, I own a pair of HD1's I've been mixing on for about 12 years now and never repalced a thing in them either!!) If you look at the specs +-4db from 50Hz to 19K with an output of 139db!!!@1M rating and it is clearly obvious that this is NO ordinary wedge!! It has a DUAL MOSFET power section putting out 620 CLEAN watts per channel at ALL frequencies ALL the time. I have never heard another speaker come as close to perfect for so many things as this one. To put some perspective on this my Bergantino NV610 has a Frequency Response of 48 Hz - 5K and a Sensitivity of 100db (not to be confused with full output power!!) and a power handling of 750 watts....The Bergantino comes in at about 10 lbs heavier (without the amp and all the processing....) and is considerably larger (but very easy for me ot move)!

So what am I saying? I spent about as much for my Bergantino NV610/DB750 rig as a new PSM-2 would have cost me....:eyebrow: BUT...the Meyer is a TOTALLY different animal! Whatever you put in it is EXACTLY what you will get back. It simply will not do a Vintage tone NO MATTER how hard you try. The sound is pristine, and if you sing AT ALL, imagine being able to run your bass and your voice through an Aux send with NO other preamp necessary into a highly efficient and absolutely accurate monitor that can literally take the top of your head off (and sound unbelievable while doing it!) from 10 feet away and you get the idea.....

I have not had the pleasure of hearing the IP stuff from Jim yet (I am a little afraid to :cool: !) but I can only imagine that if there is someone who could deliver a similar product it would be Jim Bergantino!! If you are SERIOUSLY looking for this type of product my suggestion would be to definitely check out both. Keep in mind, with both the Bergantino and the Meyer you will still need a pre of some sort or I imagine that an aux send from a console would drive either of them (with the associated side effects of the added signal degradation especially if it is a lower cost console). The best endorsement I can give is that I have owned a number of Bergantino products (and at this point have essentially sworn of any other builder:hyper: ) and I have been very satisfied with all of them. I have used just about every product in the Meyer line from all the way back to the original MSL cabs and the Current line array products and thier studio monitors and I have been giddy over all of them as well. In my opinion, it is probaly going to come down to personal preference. The price difference would not be that big if you really consider all the things you are getting for your money.

I would be VERY interested to hear your thoughts if you get the chance to try them both :help: ..............Good luck and remember you CAN'T lose either way!

Peace,

T

http://www.meyersound.com/pdf/products/concert_series/psm-2_ds.pdf

http://www.bergantino.com/

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    wow, tommixx,

you're sooo not helping my slowly brewing need for a meyer cab... :help:

but while they're far from the meyer love, my acme's arent too shabby in giving me a nice somewhat neutral yet detailed sound.

while i've been gigging with my schroe and epifani's more these days, its always nice to come home to an acme cab on a sunday morn in a relaxed churchie setting, where i dont have to pull out my ear plugs. :)

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    oh man...

i'd love to go back to rudy's music and try out their IP310 w/ my Kern & U5. course, my credit card is too scared to allow that. :p

10. :D

If you haven't heard one, DON'T or you will find that you really NEED one......I fully expect to read tom's review within 60 days......ROTFLMAO!

:D

Peace,

T

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    too late... :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oh no doubt, i heard one. anthony jackson @ bass extremes literally had the sound of my $20K dreams. :p

12. If you had the chance to actually hear AJ's rig you know what I am talking about!! He has several Meyer rigs that he has used in one way or another over the years. That one looks like a UPA-1P on top of a USW-1P!! Darryl Jones uses a killer Meyer rig too. I am not sure if he had it out on the this Stones Tour or not but I had the pleasure of getting up close and personal with it and it sounds like a PA big enough for a lot of outdoor festivals I play :D ! He says he prefers a live cab over Inears but JEEEZZZ, a friggin PA? LOL!

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    LOL! Even I have my limits, Tom! :D And I am still pretty much happily flittering around in bass nirvana with my Berg IP cabs, so believe it or not, I really don't feel any GAS at all for the Meyer stuff (which is strange, I admit!).

Tom.

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    It's not going to help you to know that the Kern and the U5 are two of my favorite preamps that I have tried with the IP cabs! ;)

I mean, I loved the Kern before, but after playing it through my IP cabs, I hold it in a whole new light. :D

Tom.

15. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    AND THEN..... Tom woke up from his dream .... and on his door step was a Meyers unit..... Scratching his head, he thought, I'll just have to sell both my IP cabs to Big String for cheap .... NOT.:smug:

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    I don't think that I am the one who is dreaming here... ;)

You did see the serial numbers on my IP cabs, right?

Label2.

17. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I wouldn't get all that gooey-eye'd over a Meyer, or an EAW or Martin or Turbosound or any other high end PA cab for that matter. As far as the speakers go there's nothing magical about them at all. To paraphrase, Meyer 'puts his pants on one leg at a time'.

What does separate systems of this sort from the old school is the matching of the speakers with dedicated amps and digital processors. This is nothing new, most high end PAs have done so for over a decade. You can trace the beginnings of this methodology back to the Bose 901, over thirty years ago. Until fairly recently this technology was out of the reach of the average musician, but with the advent of inexpensive loudspeaker management systems, such as the DBX drive racks, it can be applied to literally any speaker/amp combination. Jim Bergantino's application of dedicated amp/DSP technology to his boxes is the first major foray into this realm by a musical instrument speaker manufacturer, but it won't be the last. If you want what Meyer offers you can have it now, and do so for a very reasonable cost. Just match up a good speaker, amp and LMS and you're there.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    man,

that's just unfair!

19. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Tom is really 'certifiable' now....:D

20. Roland has been doing it for a number of years (DB series amps with FFP technology), so Bergantino is not the first. The old DB series seems to be discontinued soon and can be had for little money. But of course they dont compare to Meyer...