1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poor Man's Roscoe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jallenbass, Oct 3, 2013.

1. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Out of curiosity, what would you consider to be a poor man's Roscoe? Preferably from those who have played and/or owned a Roscoe. Somewhere below $1000 but ideally below $500.

2. I've owned several. Nothing will match a Roscoe unfortunately. I'm currently rocking a Lakland 5501 that gets in the dual humbucker ball park .They can be had relatively cheap and within ur budget. Upgrade the preamp though.. Can't wait until I can own a Roscoe again.

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    A Lakland 5501 was one thought that I had. The other is a BXP Indonesian Peavey Cirrus.

4. Ibanez SR-505 or BTB series will at least get you in the ballpark for your budget. You'll be in the nosebleeds, but at least you'll be reasonably close.

5. If ur looking at a Cirrus go after a used USA model vs the bxp stuff. I've owned a USA cirrus as well and find the Lakland to be closer. Plus the Lakland is a better platform to upgrade. Parts are very interchangeable. I tell ya if your patient you can score a Roscoe standard for about 1400 used

Not a fan of Ibanez basses. I don't think they are anywhere near what your looking for.

6. KFC on an eggo? ;)

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I would go with a Lakland. I have owned a few 55-02's and a few Roscoe's...currently have a Century Standard 5 Plus. There is NOTHING like a Roscoe, but if I didn't play Roscoe, I'd play a Lakland 55-02.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The best poor man's Roscoe is a good deal on a used Roscoe. Roscoes are fairly cheap for boutique basses, and they are reasonable used.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    ^Very true.

10. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

This....listen to Doc

11. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Find a used Roadworn P or a Lakland 4401/5501. I hear Schecters are great deals as well.

12. I grew up in the town where Roscoe guitars are made. I've played several. Nothing comes close, but If you're looking for that style of bass with active Bart pups and close to $500; I'd say scoop up an Ibanez BTB. If you're lucky and can grab a Japanese made one, than even better!

13. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Roscoes generally play as well as basses costing twice as much or more. A used one is a steal, the quality is just silly.

14. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    Not happening, even on a used Roscoe!