Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poor Mans Sadowsky (or rich mans Fender!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RSmith, Jan 2, 2006.

1. So I tried a Metro and I loved the tone but the playability wasn't workin' for me. So I picked up this Fender Victor Bailey Signature Model Jazz from a friend and beefed it up with Sadowsky Pick-ups and Pre-Amp. The body is a Koa top, rosewood middle and mahogany back.

This babies a killer! Plays very smooth, the fret job is excellent, it's light, great sustain, and tone that just plain kills! I'm gonna put black Hipshot tuners and bridge on her soon.

Check out the stick dude on the headstock. It's Victor, but it kinda resemles yours truly no? :D Anyways this was a good way get in the game for a little less scratch.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've been impressed with the stock VBs I've played.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    RSmith, is your bass really any cheaper than a Metro? A new Victor Bailey runs around $1,500, and changing the pups and eventually tuners should at minimum make up the price difference.

4. I got it for a grand, plus $400. on electronics and it will run $200. for the bridge and tuners. I dig it ( lots! ) and the Metro I spent $2,175 on :( I did not dig, so I can live with this! And it's made in USA!

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yeah, you are coming out cheaper. Those Victor Baileys are beautiful. For my taste, all you need is a drop D tuner and that bass would be perfect! Enjoy it and Happy New Year!

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    very cool. i have played 2 or 3 and have been very impressed with them also, and i'm not really a J bass guy.

7. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Very sweet lookin' bass. Congratulations!

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Really nice looking bass. I saw one at a local Sam Ash (Brooklyn) but whan I picked it up, the bow in the neck was aweful. Damned Sam Ash. :)

9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Nothing that a truss rod adjustment wouldn't be able to rectify.

10. dmk

dmk Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    What didn't you like about the playability?

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great mods to a great looking bass. Win/win all around!

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Definitely, Like I said the bass looks beautiful. I really wasen't looking to buy it so I didn't bother any of the sleeping sales people (HAHA) about it.

I wanted to give a try just to give me some un-needed GAS so I'm glad it wasen't playable. :)