Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poor thing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yesterday I was testing my fixed CO2 powered BB gun and shooting out of my window, and I noticed a jackdaw land in my garden....took no notice and carried on practice firing, but then the sound of the gun scared the bird, and I noticed it tried taking of but crashed, so I ran downstairs, out of my house and tried to fidn it, but it had legged it into next door's garden. Anyway, I ran back inside, and tried to find my dad's gf's number(he was at her house setting her PC up), but I couldn't find it...so I kept a watch on the bird, which was sat in the middle of the orchard...he dissappeared, then came back, then totally vanished. When my dad got in we went a looked for it, but couldn't find him.....poor bird. ANy advice on what to do if I see it again?

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I believe it's a bit too late to take advice...
    Thinking before shooting would have been more pertinent.

Cheers,
    JL

3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Leave it alone.

4. But I want to help it.......I care about birds.....poor thing....I gotta help it.

5. Were you trying to "teach" that one a lesson too?

;)

(I'm kidding)

6. Nah, I was just testing the gas powered bb gun that i'd fixed out, and the bang from it made the bird jump. I saw it was holding its wing weirdly, but then it moved it into place, so I thought nothing more of it, then realised the msitake I'd made when it crashed.....aparentl jackdaws are very good at finding food on the groud, and can survive quite well.......i'll keep a look our ofr it though, just in case.

7. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Thats funny how you started this pointless thread to make it seem like you REALLY care about birds since you've had that other "vacuuming the head" weighing on your mind this whole time. We get it, you care about birds, why try to over-compensate for the last incident?

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Well leave it alone.

9. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    If you see it again, leave it alone, you've done the thing enough damage.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

:D maybe he could try to vacuum the hunk of copper out of the thing :eyebrow:

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    :confused: This thread confuses me. Did the sound of the gun scare the bird as you stated, or did you shoot the bird?

:eyebrow:

12. That's what I was wondering too.

He's saying the sound scared it...but why would it crash?

13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yeah, it sounds a lot like when John Wilkes Booth went into the Fords Theater for target practice and the sound scared Lincoln.

:bag:

:rollno:

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    first the dude tried to suck the head of his bird....that didn't quite work....this time he decided to shoot one with a gun.....that didn't work either......who knows what the next method will be as he tries to find a way to kill a bird.

-Mike

15. I DID NOT SHOOT IT WITH A GUN! I landed in my garden, aI notcied it had a weird wing, but then it picked it up and seemed to be about fly off, so I looked away, and continued target shooting...then it did try and fly, but then crashed. That's hwne I realised its wing was dodgey, so I ran outtam y house to try and hel pit but it ran off.....not seen it since...i hope it survives :-(

16. He's coming into his own as a true Audubon Society Member. :smug:

(again with the joking)

17. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Ok, so..... there you are shooting randomly in your yard, and all of a sudden, COINCIDENTALLY you see a bird that appears to have it's wing wounded from unknown causes. Yes, that seems realistic.

18. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Seems to me that if you are sincere about "helping" the bird, you will simply take your BB gun and destroy it. BB guns are pointless. Aside from Sheridan pellet guns, I have never encountered a BB gun that was accurate enough to make target shooting a worthwhile practice. Your manufactured concern for the wildlife that you are endandering leaves me cold.

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you just named my new band!

:D

20. I love birds, now leave me alone, I'm a member of the RSPB also. And as for bb guns that aren't accurate, you should see the Marui FAMAS I have....fires 1000bbs a minute, at 90metres a second. It's barrel is nearly 2 feet long, and it is incredibly accurate, even over ranges up to about 30 metres.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.