Poor trade-in deal at Sound Control?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbloke, Jun 2, 2003.

1. bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    I bought an Ashdown C110 from Sound Control (in Dundee) less than a year ago. I found it a little underpowered and later bought an ABM mini 48 as an extension cab.

Unfortunately I decided the set-up was still underpowered and asked them to quote me a trade-in price for the (mint condition) C110 on an ABM C115-500. They've offered me £350 for the C110 on a trade in, but have also said that they will not move on the asking price of £949 for the ABM C115-500 if I'm trading in. I know that if I was paying cash I'd pay substantially less than that.

So it'll cost me £600 plus the C110 for a combo that lists at £200 more than the C110 new. That's £400 I'll have dropped for buying the "wrong" combo first.

One reason given for the low trade-in price is that the trade price for the C110 is not much more than £350. Fair enough, but that suggests a profit of nearly 50% of the selling price on Ashdown gear. They would have earned that on three separate pieces of equipment they'd sold me in in less than a year, at a total value of £2,050. I reckon they could have made about £900 profit in total from those three sales. I can't imagine they'll have any difficulty selling the mint C110 for £450 used, so if they broke even (or even lost £50) purely on the trade-in deal surely that's a reasonable gesture to make?

What do others think? Am I justified in thinking that this is pretty greedy of Sound Control, or is it just a fact of life that the value of bass equipment is decimated as soon as you take it out of the shop?

Either way Sound Control have probably shot themselves in the foot, because they will not be selling me an ABM C115-500 and they are a lot less likely to get my custom in future.
  2. Yes. :D

Actually, it's probably more to the fact that once you walk out of the store, the price plummets.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    In the USA, trade value is 50% of what the store will resell it for.

As a used piece, the amp immediately drops to maybe 70% of what you paid as soon as you walk out the door.

So let's say the amp cost you 500 GBP new. Out the door, it's now worth 350 GBP. The store will offer 175 GBP on trade. Value lost: 325 GBP, over 60% of what you originally paid!

Anyway, sounds like the store is giving you a very fair tradein (50% of what you paid in the first place) but tempering that by not giving you more of a "deal" on the new amp.

As far as profit on new gear, in the USA most gear wholesales at 50% of list. So if sold without a discount the store indeed makes 100% on the gear. Before you say that's crazy remember it's a business not a charity.
  4. Bassbloke- are you not able to sell privately via your local classifieds? You would get a higher price than you will get for a trade-in, and you then have the added advantage of negotiating a better deal for your new equipment armed with a cash deposit. I have always found that dangling the cash carrot in front of your local music dealers eyes really focuses their minds!! I appreciate that this is not always possible to do, especially when buying higher value equipment, but you would be amazed at the deals you can do if your dealer sees the possibility of a large wad dissappearing out of the door!
    Of course, you have taken the other course of action if you're not happy with the service you get, don't use them!
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I'd go with the private sale thing. http://www.loot.com has a music section.

Also I think that there's a dealer in the newcastle area that has beeter prices than sound control. Wait a minute.

EDIT-nope the newcastle dealer is Soundcontrol.

6. I've been lucky with Sound Control in Glasgow I managed to get some stuff 'traded in' at a reasonable value. Although I know I might have got some more selling myself, I couldn't be bothered with the associated hassle!

You might be better trying to sell your Ashdown on ebay or some such first! Then just go near them with cash, and threaten to leave if you don't get the right deal!

All the best!:)
  7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I bought my Ashdowns from Sound Control, they were great to deal with and the cheapest price ANYWHERE in the U.K.
    I'd sell privately, Ebay or something - you'll get much more.
  8. bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    Brianrost I take your point - I'd probably not be too unhappy with the offer IF I'd bought the combo elsewhere and had reasonable use of it. I just feel Sound Control have had their pound of flesh out of me this year and given that I'm returning something that's scarcely been used and was a "mistake" purchase (ok my own fault) they might have settled for a little less margin on the new combo for the sake of good customer relations. As I say, if I'd bought the 500 in the first place it'd have cost me £200 more; buying the smaller one first and using it 10-12 times is going to cost me £600 more. That's nearly £40 dropped for every time I've switched the amp on!

I take the point many are making about selling privately but unfortunately I know from experience that shifting used bass equipment by press advertisement in my neck of the woods is hard to do. Efforts at selling a Hartke rig and a Wal (both advertised in the local press 3 times each at pretty low prices) resulted in no sale.

Ebay or similar is an option, but I've never used it before, don't have a track record, don't have a digital camera or scanner and then there's the hassle of shipping and the (admittedly probaly small) risk of unreliable bidders. Hardly seems worth it to maybe raise an extra £100.

Looks like I'm just going to have to put this one down to experience, ie, in futue make damn sure the equipment I'm buying will do the job I want it to do (so much harder to do when you can't buy locally or test it in a gigging situation).
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    This is why I'm always try to buy used gear. If you don't like it, you could sell it for about what you bought it for, usually more, in my cases.
  10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    What Nino said!

I too whore some gear, I never lose any money on it. Usually make a couple hundred bucks, and get to try out some great gear. Although, buying used speaker cabs can be tricky.
  11. bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    I guess you can look at these figures in different ways and come up with different perspectives.

The way I'm looking at it is this:

If I'd bought the 500 watt combo first, it would have cost me £200 more than the C110.

The deal Sound Control have offered me means the 500 watt combo will cost me the C110 + £600.

If I accepted I'd have lost £400 on a piece of equipment that cost £650 in the first place. A staggering 61.5% of the value has evaporated in less than a year.

That's some depreciation rate. I don't think even computers lose value that fast.