Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poor Whistlers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wrong Robot, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's kind of sad to be a virtuoso whistler, because, by and large, whistling all sounds the same. There is a certain nuance, but in a blind listening test you could listen to 6 amazing whistlers and tonally, they'd all sound very similar. What's more, I personally can whistle, tonally, as well as the top whistlers in the world. I may not have their depth of control, but the sound is the same. It is a harsh mistress the whistling game.

2. Maybe tone is the untapped next frontier of whistling. It's up to us to explore it!

It really is a difficult thing, since changing the shape of your mouth changes the pitch. Maybe it's all in the embouchure. At least I've always got my mouth trumpet skills to fall back on if I fail to wow the masses by whistling. Mouth trumpet is always a hit.

3. The timbre of whistling doesn't exactly lend itself to tonal manipulation. Doesn't it produce a sine wave?

Now, if you could hum or grunt two octaves below what you're whistling, that would be amazing. The next step would be Roland Kirk-style independent melodies!

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This thread is too weird for me in so many ways! :smug:

5. *burp*

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Pretty close to a pure sine wave. Though, every sound is comprised of sine waves. Even burps. ;)

7. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I can't whistle for the life of me -- When I try, I get more of this effect :spit: than any angelic chorus rending my lips asunder

8. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I can't whistle either. It's really annoying when I want to call a dog... or whistle at some chick out a car window. ;) -> :rollno:

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I just tried to practice, and my dog came running to me

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    A belgian World Champion !

11. I burp perfect sawtooths, SuperDuck. Once I belched in public and some guy tried to grab me and sell me on eBay as a dead-mint 1973 Minimoog.

12. Hey, I can do that too! I can't burp a sawtooth though. :(

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    One can only imagine what your other bodily functions sound like.

14. I'm going to make an album consisting entirely of processed versions of fart noises you make by buzzing your lips on your hands or your forearm. Dominique Leone will review it on Pitchfork and give it an 8.5.

Just you wait, kids. Just you wait.

15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

there's only so much you can do with just ONE (or nearly one) sine wave, though. :p

16. Germane to the topic at hand:

I wonder why Bobby McFerrin wasn't on Bjork's Medulla. Of all the people you'd expect to be on an album constructed almost entirely from the human voice, it'd be the guy who basically pioneered that method of music-making.

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    That's a cool, yet very heavy album to listen to.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - only from a very limited US-centric perspective...:meh:

Acapella vocal music has been the basis of so many musical cultures from PlainSong to African Rhythmic chants etc. etc.:eyebrow:

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    ...all the way to rockapella. :D

20. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Just where in the world is that Carmen Sandiego anyways?