Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pop and Slap Dat Bad Boy!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Sep 9, 2003.

1. C'mon...here is the thread where you show off your awsome slap stuff. Whether it's a cover or original....send it!

:)

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm afraid you have to start Mr. Spears. :)

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    definately NOT awsome.... but what the heck.

Release just a song I wrote
    Only I shall Walk Away recorded the other day... bass and guitars were quick scratch tracks... I'm not done with it yet,I wrote it on the fly after programming the drums
    Movin' to it others are using flatwounds, this track is with the TB 'G2 Beta' strings (SS rounds)

drums midi recorded output to wav then looped and mixed. Guitar thru Johnson J-station by me... bass on first thru Ashdown DI the others just direct to sound card.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Sounds cool! I might need to head to the city and catch a show.

6. How dare you say "Movin' to it" is not awsome,I listened to this yesterday and it sounded really good:)

I dig the Bene' !

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Thanks! Actually, the verse fingerstyle part is harder than the chorus stuff which is pretty basic.

Movin To It is cool, nice groove.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Some Slap Grooves

Just some snippets of ideas. Go into the Slap Grooves folder. Enjoy!:bassist:

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

:meh:

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Rest assured, dude - I DID enjoy!

Which bass were you playing on that Funk jam?

Sounds great, man! I like your style.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    When I saw your name come up as the last reply I started singing to myself "come with meeeee now"

I really dig that song. :)

you are the raisin of my life :p....j/k

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    In tribute to DWBass....as a matter fact, I stole the drum track off his song lol. Timing is a bit off, but hey.......it's after 4:30 AM.

PS, this is for those who want to know how close a sterling sounds to a ray.....

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't know - making fun of Brazilian people's accents - I'll tell BlackBird about you!! ;)

15. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Bruce... slapping... excellent. Really earning that title of Arbiter of Good Taste - I thought you were totally anti-slap?!
    Good stuff, I have all the Sambossa mp3s from the web site on my computer as it happens. "nice" ;)

DWBass - nice work, I dig. Classic 80's fusion slap tone ala Stanley Clarke, cool. And such a clean slap style too, I dig

davidmwilson - I've been playing around with that bass line to I feel love for ages - waiting for one of my bands to realise "why don't we cover that?" - man it's COOL! Very into that here, very cool :D

Man, I gotta join in! I'm gonna do myself an mp3 tonight and post tomorrow :)

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Thanks. I believe it was my Fender Jazz on that one.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Where did it go? It's not there~ Says the folder is empty!!

18. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    DWBass - I'm at work at the moment, I nearly went home at lunchtime and got my minidisc recorder - I was gonna learn your 'All our funk' clip and post it tomorrow... as a sort of tribute :D
    Very nice groove that I must say :)

Q: How long did you spend on those clips? was it a five minute "plug in and get busy" or a several hours of getting the right tone recorded and rehearsing the piece type thing.

I have a drum sample CD at home which I plan to scour when I get home for something suitable and see what I can do in an evening... should be 'intersting'?!

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

.........is my best friend! Didn't take long. I just find a drum groove sample I like, copy and paste it to about a minute and a half, plug in the ole' bass, press record and waalaa! The only thing is with the Fender, I have to deal with the pickup noise. My Tobias and Ibanez are active and pretty quiet.