1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pop gigs

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by adri24an, Mar 11, 2008.

1. adri24an

adri24an

Nov 2, 2007
    Madrid, Spain
    Endorsing Artist: TC Electronic Amps, Ernie Ball Strings, Monocases
    Hi janek!

i would like to know what gear do you like to use for your pop gigs (jem,...) A vintage P-bass 5 strings for example?

thank you very much!

2. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    I usually take a couple of basses with me. The fodera, the P-bass. I get a rig from Fender that's appropriate for the gig. Normally a couple of 4x10's, TBP-1, and a heafty power amp.

I'll also use a synth bass rig of some sort.... it's been a while since the last pop tour, but on that one I used either a nord 2, or my laptop with Reaktor by native instruments. I had the Juno ensemble, and I also programmed one of my own sub sounding synth basses. I think I'll most likely find a keyboard I like for the next tour we start this summer, and then load in sounds of my own. I like the feeling of a hardware instrument, although the laptop is super useful for portability.

Easy,

Janek

3. adri24an

adri24an

Nov 2, 2007
    Madrid, Spain
    Thank you!

i think i got lost when you started to talk about synth bass... i don't know anything about that!

what do you mean? in some songs you just let your bass and play a synthesizer, keyboard,... or you mean that you use some pedals with your bass to have that synth sound?

sorry for my ignorance!

4. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    I mean that I use a keyboard or some sort of midi set up so trigger synth bass sounds. Lots of modern pop music is written with synth bass on the album and I have to recreate that live when we go on tour.

With Jojo Mayer's band Nerve I use a lot of pedals with my bass, some of which are synth bass pedals. It's more authentic for that music I find, and the touch is way better for playing the bass for that long using those kinds of sounds.

Easy,

Janek

5. adri24an

adri24an

Nov 2, 2007
    Madrid, Spain
    Ok! Thank you very much!