1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Pop" goes the neck!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Foxrock321, Oct 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. It can be fixed good is new

17 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. It'll never play the same..buy a new one.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. IMG_0638.JPG

So this is my 60's Roth German made plywood bass. I have been living is Estes Park now for better than two years now.elevation 8000ft. My Thursday nite gig by the lake is giving her a lot of action (jazz) two days after noticing the neck is coming out..While loading her into the back of my Jeep, I barely tapped the tuners on the armrest, and POP! The neck ejected all the way. What a feeling when it happened. She is now at the Ben Davis violin shop being repaired..is this a lost cause? Or is it time to shop for a new one.

2. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    It'll cost a bit, but she'll probably be fine.

Foxrock321 and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  3. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    It is about like getting a dislocated shoulder put back into place. A pretty routine procedure if done by a qualified and trained repairman. You don't want some hobbyist or somebody who has just glanced through the Traeger book to do it.

4. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    If it is in good hands, this will turn out fine, or better than before. Sometimes, these repairs uncover corners that were cut on previous repairs and it is a good opportunity to get it done right.

Foxrock321 likes this.
  5. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    +1 on what's been said so far, plus a plywood Roth is a good, solid workhorse that will give you many more years of reliable service once the repairs are complete.

- Steve

Foxrock321 likes this.
  6. Thanks boys for your support...Currently the bass is at a reputable violin repair shop in Longmont Co. This bass is worth keeping..back in the 70's da bass was actually played on the Buddy Rich band.. the last few days I had to keep tuning it back up, which was just pulling the neck out more and more till it went boing!

7. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Estes Park...nice gig. I lived near there about 20 years ago and thought the Front Range was too crowded back then....!

There are bass players who have broken the neck on the bass and those that are going to break the neck of their bass. Welcome to the club and call it a badge of honor. If you consider that there are only a couple of Stradivarius violins in the world with the original neck, your bass will be fine.

Foxrock321, Ortsom and robobass like this.
  8. Thanks James! I'll have play electric this week till she's fixed. My gig is at the resort next door to the marina on lake Estes. Really good people and one of the few jazz gigs in EP. And..the crowds are only getting worse.

9. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    It's best it happened then rather than while playing. Did the button break then or before? It looks like it has had previous neck problems...

First off everything will be OK! This is something that is repairable but may cost a pretty penny, and you may not have your bass for a while.

Second, you have the incredible Eric Trujillo and Bob Ross in Colorado who can expertly take care of your instrument.

Third, everything will be OK!

10. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    I have broken the necks on three basses, including a Joseph Hill and a Hachez. Don't worry, a well done repair job will be invisible and it will play as well as before. My Hill was far worse off than that.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Foxrock321 likes this.
  11. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    This bass doesn't need a neck graft, hopefully just a simple reset. But I am concerned about the button. It may need an overlaid patch, which won't be pretty but should be solid.

12. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Why would you patch it from the outside? Do a proper button graft from the inside, and it will be virtually invisible. (Still have to reset the neck, of course.)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Greg Clinkingbeard and wathaet like this.
  13. Report from my repair tech, is the body is back together and the neck will be reset today...I told Ben, this would be a good time to bring down the action..and make it more"playable".

14. Yeah the neck ejected all in one piece..as I was tuning E n A back up, it was pulling it out in small increments, and then boing.

15. KUNGfuSHERIFF

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    On a ply bass?

16. I know about Bob in Denver, my guy Ben Davis is a violin luthier repair guy in Longmont, much closer to Estes Park.

The button was coming out as you can see in the photo posted above, the Roth bass back in the mid sixties was part of a big school district in Houston shipment that suffered a crack on the heal, which was professionally repaired, my good friend bought it from them before it was put into the system. He played with the Buddy Rich band, so the bass has some history. I bought it from him after he suffered a career ending injury. I moved from Dallas to the mountains and the very dry air up here didn't help my cause.

17. Yes this a ply bass with veneer

18. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Well--I suppose you could simply glue it, but an inside patch (as compared to outside) is (a) less visible, and (b) hopefully stronger, so, yes, that would be my choice. I would glue it to get the fit perfect, then inlay the patch from the inside. Do you see that as problematic? Maybe I'm missing something.

tonequixote likes this.
  19. KUNGfuSHERIFF

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    I know. A hidden button patch on a ply bass is much more labor intensive and costly than an overlay.

20. I just emailed my tech guy to see if this procedure will be nescessary.