Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

POP goes the tailpiece!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by lermgalieu, Jun 7, 2004.

1. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I was driving home from my gig Friday night and I heard a POP, followed by the sound of my bridge falling over. Turns out the part of the wood carved for routing the tailpiece wire through had broken! Anyway, I was able to get it fixed on Saturday - the luthier just routed the wire through the tailpiece so you can now see it on the front side looping through - but hey, it beats a new tailpiece. $30 and I am back in business. Phew...glad it didn't happen on stage.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have had that happen twice on me! One was at home while practicing. I was using the screw lock tailpiece wire, and it snapped while I was playing. The second time it happened on a gig. This bass had a coat hanger. Fortunately I had my Fender Jazz bass with me to cover the rest. I have never had it happen on a good instrument though. Just my cheap plywoods. I always use a crimp lock with my aircraft cable now.

3. The same thing happened to me last week - I was checking the tuning and noticed that all four were down by a nearly a whole tone, which was very strange, as they all keep their tuning very well, no matter what season - I should have realised exactly what was happening! Anyway, I started bringing them back up and "BANG!" …and there was the bridge laying on the floor! The wire had slipped through the clamp used on the tail-piece. Fortunately the sound-post hadn't fallen, so the repair only took about 15 minutes, and the clip/bolt replaced with an crimped aluminium ferrule which is much stronger! Luckily this happened in my living room and not at a gig!

- Wil

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Its scary eh?! You pretty much think "What just happened?"! My soundpost fell both times!