POP goes the weasel!!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Michael Case, Sep 12, 2002.

1. My D string just poped and I can't play until tommorow! This is my question. What should I do in the mean time? I lossened the other strings and have the bass on it back. I wanted to bring my bass to David Gage to replace the end pin anway, but is it safe to transport the bass with 3 strings?
    I really don't want to have problems with my sound post.

Am I being crazy?
    A promt reply would be appreciated.
  2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    yes, you are being crazy!

Here's where you need to have a few old sets on hand. I don't see a need to tune down the strings at all-that's when you're gonna drop the post. Just replace the d. And if the strings are up to pitch there is no problem with traveling with the bass.
  3. I'm just starting to get an understanding of what the bass can handle. I remember when I got my first really good electric, I was nuts for at least a year. I'm getting better now with the DB too.

Are you easily reachable by train? (I'm in Queens)
    could you give me an estimate on a fingerboard (by email if you wish)?
  4. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    We've actually got several top-notch luthiers on Long Island. This past spring, I brought my bass to Jeff for a complete setup, including a new bridge, and haven't regretted it yet. Nice guy to boot!

He's just a short cab ride from the LIRR. Hey, I hope this testimonial isn't against the rules, BTW. I'm just a satisfied customer!
  5. Sounds good, thanks.
    Now I have a new set of strings on (Spirocore weich) and notice that when I play the D open pizz, I have a metallic buzz type sound. It's only on the open D. Could this just be 'cause of the newness of the strings?
  6. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    The likely cause here is that the slot on the nut has worn down and is too low. Here's two ways to check. Shine a brite light behine the string at the nut-you should see some light right where the string exits the nut. OR-slide a business card under the string. It should JUST fit under the string at the nut. If the bass fails these tests then the cure would be to bring it to me for a new fingerboard and nut. Only kidding! You could have a new nut made or you need to find a way to elevate the d. A quick and not so good fix is to put some thin cardboard under the string at the nut. OR some glue and ebony dust in the slot. Both these would be considered stopgap measures.
  7. I looked through the threads and read about the same problem as suffered by our fearless moderator Chris F. I am well on the path to quick fixing the problem. For the most part it has worked (only a slight buzz is left). For now though it will have to do.
    Thanks all,