1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pop Punk Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Suink141, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Suink141

Suink141

Nov 30, 2016
    Hi all! I want to buy an amp to play in a Pop Punk band and need help. Now im doubting between this 3 combo amps (Fender Rumble 500, Ampeg BA210v2, GK Mb210 II) because i want something light but powerful enought also. Wich one is better in terms of riching good Pop Punk sound but also durability... Im also open to hear more opinions about what i should buy.
    Thanks

Caleb Mills likes this.
  2. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    I like and own the GK MB212II and it's pretty nice. Light, loud and with the boost it'll handle punk.

3. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    i'm not familiar with the amps you've listed, but I would say that in this genre you're likely to be competing with some quite loud / energetic drums. So go for as much power and speaker area as you can afford.

a 2 x 10 combo might struggle if you've got a Bigfoot lookalike pounding the skins ;)

you say you want lightness – how important is this? If you can compromise on weight, a budget and/or used 4 x 10 cab and head would be well suited to that kind of environment.

smogg, spaz21387 and SunnBass like this.
  4. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Amplifiers don't care what genre of music you are playing.

Avoid chasing recorded tones, studio magic will drive you crazy.

5. Suink141

Suink141

Nov 30, 2016
    Yeah I know, but do you think a combo amp 2x10 wouldnt be enought power? I dont really know, im confused about how many power i need. Im looking for Combos because the light and portability but also Ive in mind the Ampeg PF 500 with 115 HE cab? What do you think about that?

6. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    A single 115 cab will be pretty inefficient.
    Remember, more speaker surface creates more sound.

Ultradust, blindrabbit and knumbskull like this.
  7. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    ... oh and you've picked a very forgiving genre in terms of bass tone - so long as you're packing enough speaker power, any amp should sound fine.

steel strings, pick playing is conventional in this kind of music. of course, you can always try something new :ninja:

10cc likes this.
  8. Suink141

Suink141

Nov 30, 2016
    Well i think some amps are better for a particular style than others, maybe im wrong. Im also asking for wich one is better in terms of durability.

9. Suink141

Suink141

Nov 30, 2016
    For now im not looking to do arenas or big stages, even knowing that, a single 115 will be inefficient? I will use it for rehearsals/small/medium stages with PA support i guess.

10. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I play punk music and I was thoroughly impressed with an older Rumble 210, I imagine the new ones are even better. And GK stuff is also great. I'd probably lean more to the Fender or GK. I've never been too impressed with Ampeg's combos, but maybe the newer ones are decent.

And, you can always add an extension cabinet to these for more volume, but compare the prices of seperate heads and cabinets as well.

spaz21387, pudgychef and knumbskull like this.
  11. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I agree that a 1 x 15 will probably struggle to keep up with a full rock band at medium volume.

a 2 x 10 is a bit better, but in my experience, with full drum and guitars, a 4 x 10 works best. Or you could look at the GK MB212II suggested by @10cc

the typical beginner's mistake (which I have made, more than once!) is to buy an amp that is on the small side for your needs.... and then 3 / 6 / 12 months later, as if by magic, pow! a blown speaker. and then another... and so on...

10cc likes this.
  12. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    OK, so here (UK), the Ampeg BA210v2 costs around £500.

for that price, you could get:

Ashdown MAG 4x 10 cabinet
    Ashdown MAG410T 450W 4X10 Tweeter CAB 8OHM Evoiii CAB

Markbass Little Mark 250 bass head:
    MarkBass LITTLE MARK 250 Blackline Bass Head | Andertons

... which would give you a decent size rig that will last you years to come. it's not light, portable, or fancy, but it's a lot of rig for the money. and that's new - look at used gear too.

But - I'm not sure where you live, so prices/available models may vary - do cost out some budget heads and cabs before you make a decision.

EDIT: I'm not necessarily saying get these exact ones. :)

13. Suink141

Suink141

Nov 30, 2016
    Thanks a lot for the help! poopie this a so hard decision. What about the Pf 500 with a pf210HE or with a lanely rb410? Man i really dont want a 410 becasue so big and heavy. Why a Fender Rumble 500 combo for example wont be enougth? Im noob in amp knowledge.

knumbskull likes this.
  14. bolophonic

bolophonic SUSPENDED

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I played in pop punk bands all through the 90's with a Hartke 3500 combo. One 15" and a 5" tweeter at 350 watts was plenty for house shows and empty clubs.

15. punisher911

punisher911

Jan 20, 2005
    Clawson, MI
    I have no complaints on my Ampeg BA210v2. Will handle a pop punk band all day. I did struggle a bit against twin 120watt tube amps playing metal though. In all fairness though, that was the loudest I have ever played with someone. That metal band played ear piercing loud and it was just dumb. ( I didn't stay with them. lol)

knumbskull likes this.
  16. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    the Ampeg PF500 head looks good (I've never used one – search this forum if you do decide to go with it).

The Ampeg pf210HE i would say is a bit small for a full punk band – it's a 2x10. (it also weighs nearly as much as a 4 x 10!)

Laney rb410 - looks good, again I've never used one. but in theory that would give you plenty of volume.

the Rumble 500 – again it's a 2x10. all I'm saying is, regardless of the power rating of the amp, 4 x 10 inch speakers is generally the way to go with full, loud bands, unless you start looking at more expensive lightweight cabinets :)

at the end of the day, if you want a smaller combo, get one! however, for the same price range, you could get a more powerful rig that will be better suited to playing with loud guitars and drums.

EDIT a see a few other folks have weighed in. maybe you're on the right track. anyway, good luck!

17. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Go find yourself a used 410 or 215, and an amp that is 300-500 watts.

More cab = more volume

18. It will be more than enough. It is also the most reliable in it's class.

knumbskull and Blue Dragon like this.
  19. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Anecdotal at best on both points.

Buzz E and JimmyM like this.
  20. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Another vote for the GK MB212-II. 500w and 212 is plenty loud, the famous GK growl is perfect for punk, and it only weighs 41 pounds.

gidbass, Buzz E and 10cc like this.