Pop-punk for audition?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by CultParadox, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Hey everyone

So I landed an audition with a somewhat established local pop-punk band. I am very, certainly, thoroughly keen on at least going to jam with these guys: they have *gasp* management and *shiver* a studio; thanks primarily, I am sure, to the undeniably helpful fact that it is the drummer's father who owns both the studio and the management company - a fact which is neither here nor there.

Unfortunately, I'm not keen on the actual genre of music itself, per se. That is, I like all good music, but of all the good music that I like, pop-punk is fairly close to my least favourite.

ANYWAY, and on to the topic of this post, I always like to arrive prepared. So what would you guys out there suggest are the good, well-known pop-punk songs of the moment?
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    When you say pop-punk, do you mean 'Blink 182, Sum 41, Green Day' pop punk? Or older stuff like the Buzzcocks and the Queers?

Either way, you probably won't need much preparation. If you learn 'Dammit' and 'Longview' you won't have much of a problem, as most of the popular modern pop-punk falls somewhere between these two.

Good luck.
  3. I mean Blink 182, Sum 41, etc. ad nauseum.

I've never heard of the Queers or the Buzzcocks. How old are they?

Which artists play Dammit and Longview?
  4. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    you've never heard of the buzzcocks?!!

5. Is this a cover band, or do they play their own songs? If it's an original band, I wouldn't worry about learning any current radio hits. Just arm yourself with a lot of tasty thirds and fifths and scalar runs, sneak in a couple of cool upper-register fills, and you'll be fine.
  6. Enlighten me! Please! I'm sure I've heard the name... I've probably heard the music... refresh my memory?

The band is an original band , and I thank you for the advice, Dave. However, I find it helps me and gives me a bit more confidence if I dabble a bit in the genre of music I will be playing before I actually play it.

So I'm working my way through The Offspring's Conspiracy of One - believe it or not, I was startled to discover there are a few tracks that I actually enjoy. :bag:

Hmm. So I guess I'm looking for Take Off Your Pants and Jacket. And whatever is the most recent Sum 41 release.
  7. Get some older Green Day stuff, too. Mike Dirnt is great for that style of playing. Dookie (which has "Longview" on it) and Insomniac are my favorites. If you can find the really old ones, 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours or Kerplunk, even better. His playing was a bit busier back then.
  8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

They're a classic British Pop-punk band that penned some of the most infectious guitar riffs the world has ever known. Among their hits: 'Orgasm Addict', 'Ever Fallen in Love?' 'Harmony in my Head' 'Why can't I touch it?' and 'Something's Gone Wrong', among others. I would get one of their albums (Singles Going Steady is what I would reccommend) because it's seriously good pop music that you'll be humming at the most random moments in time.
  9. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Everyone who said Longview is probably right. It's a pop-punk at its finest. You might also learn some of the more straight-ahead punk stuff that Rancid has done, Matt Freeman is a genius when it comes to punk bass. The other route might be to pick up some Clash tunes as well, impress them with a bit of awareness about where it all came from...
  10. I haven't seen it posted yet so... Why would you want to play in a band that does your least favorite genre of music? I've had to quit bands with guys I liked because I despised the music so much...
  11. It just so happens that The Offspring was the childhood band of mine (in other words, I have more of their CDs than I would ever want anyone to know), and I do appreciate them and enjoy them.

The main reason I want in is this: I am blown away by the machine that this band has behind it. The manager, the legal representation, the studio, the albums, the promotion, the tour busses... Like I said, I am keen at least to go jam with these guys. I am indeed half expecting the music and talent to be... well... sub-par. If this is the case, of course I'm not going to torture myself. But, on the other hand, if the music is servicable... well, you get the picture.

I'm also flattered that they called me, and not vice-versa. I may have neglected to mention that. I'm over the moon just because my name got around to their management - this would be the first time an established band has seriously requisitioned me for an audition out of the blue.

Additionally, I'm very fond of the idea of approaching this as a musical challenge - treating it as a session at first, almost. Seeing what kind of musicality I can bring to a band I suspect - unfairly - is somewhat devoid thereof.

And if it gets me appreciating more music in the process, well, then the entire experience would have proved invaluable.
  12. Your wisdom belies your years! :p

I was contacted by a metal band, and then they had a friend of mine talk me into playing with them. I hated the music with a passion- cookie monster vocals and all. But I gave it everything, became really good friends with the guys, even wrote a few songs with them, but I could not handle the music. It lasted about a year or so. It hurt to leave them, but I hated the music. They did know I didn't like the music from the get-go, but they needed a bass player and we got along well. I'm still good friends with the singer! :D If anything, I got a bunch of great friends!
  13. *blush* :D

Man I love this forum!