Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pop/Rock bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by progplayer, Feb 20, 2002.

1. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    An online buddy of mine just saw the band The Calling tonight and he was just IM'ing me that I should check this band out because he loves the bass player. Well I downloaded a bunch of their songs and well its not really my style but I guess the bass player is pretty solid (nothing special). Anyone else know this guy? Maybe live its a different story.

I had the chance to see Hoobastank a little while back and I was very impressed with their bassist (and his blue MTD USA custom and Aggie gear!!!). He was really with it the night I saw them. I now enjoy that band. Good player and his tone is a lot better live...

The other bassist was from that band Lifehouse, not bad but its pop music (stuff I tend to stay away from). Just curious of any pop/bass players you guys dig. Mainly new bands. Oh well, I'm bored as you can read.......:D

2. I too saw Hoobastank, but I dont know if they are really pop rock, they're kinda more alternativy, but i guess they have a pop edge, though being sort of new metal. N E wayz. Foo Fighters, I like their guy, okay, so he's not great, but i like him

sim

3. Rob DeLeo of STP is probably the best pop-rock bassist working today. He proudly carries on the tradition of guys like Paul McCartney and John Taylor, and is an excellent counterexample to use when a stupid guitarist tells you that the only way to get a rock gig is to play roots (because, as we all know, there are so many more bassists out there than guitarists :rolleyes: )

4. DeLeo is deffinetley a solid choice. If I had to say something different Id say either the guy from blur or from Ben Harper (both of whose names I can't quite recall).

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I think the guy for Matchbox 20 would be one of the better pop-rock bassists. Reason being is he is Berklee or Juliard educated in music. So IMO its safe to say that he is much better than what we actually hear him do.

Im also gonna give Robbie Merril of GodSmack an honerable mention. Not for his work in God Smack, but I read in an article about him that he was a Jazz bassist before joining God Smack, so its probably safe to say he's alot better than we actually hear on his cd's too.

6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Yeah STP leaves their songs open to a lot of fills,and the stp bassist takes advantage of them.he has alot of nice fills.

7. Spearhead:

ALEX JAMES!!!

Blur's bassist... really cool stuff and cool bass sound... He MAKES Blur BLUR IMHO!! Good stuff on the "Parklife" LP...

8. i don't mean to dig up threads,but i can't help but respond to this,due to robbie's horribly underrated-ness.yes,it's true
    he really is alot better than most people probably think.
    and he isn't only jazz oriented,but funk oriented as well!!!

9. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Dude from Toad the Wet Sprocket is often overlooked.

Not necessarily new, but commonly under the radar is Norm Stockton.. plays for Lincoln Brewster..