Pop Rocks - Ballard's Block Island 2019

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by mpm32, Aug 19, 2019.

1. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    So we were out at Ballard's Beach Resort on Block Island again this past weekend. We usually play there a couple weekends over the summer, Fri - Sun 2-6. It gets crazy!

I have to leave at 5:00 from my house to make the Port Judith 8:00 Ferry. Still dark..

[​IMG]

Driving up into the sunset. You can see the hood of my new (to me) gig hauler. 2017 Ford Expedition EL. It replaced a 2007 Ford Expedition EL with 270,000 miles on it.

[​IMG]
    On the ferry, we bring our sound guy. He has a small SUV and trailer. We have the venue make reservations for that rig to go on the boat. Every time they tell us they don't think we're going to fit. They take the reservation but they don't know how to hold the reservation. This is stressful as we wait to see if they will allow it on the boat. We made it this time. Once we had to put all of our gear on a pallet and shrink wrap it, not fun.

[​IMG]

We arrive around 9:30 and start to set up. We get a per diem for food. With talking to everyone, setting up and running around, I didn't take any food pics. But I usually had the grilled chicken (good) or the jumbo hot dog (awesome)
    [​IMG]

The band shell faces the beach, when we get there it's in full sun. Since it's an island everything gets very sticky with the salt air and humidity. At 2 when we start playing the sun is behind us - yay
    Calm before the storm. They have many bars on this property and they all are busy all day long
    [​IMG]

I was standing next to a girl at the bar and she was paying her tab - $1,100.00! Like I said these people know how to drink![​IMG]

They rent chairs, loungers, umbrellas, and private cabanas

[​IMG]
    The staff is great there and they treat us well. They ship them in from other countries and their home country is listed on their badges. I saw a lot of South Africa, Ukraine, Spain this year. When I tell the South African staff that I have been there and loved it, they treat me even better - lol
    Almost set up on Friday
    [​IMG]

We have band rooms at another resort that the owners own on the other side of the island. All of their staff stay here. I do as well - lol. Most of the guys in the band get rooms at other places (expensive) I'd rather come home with my gig pay than leave it on the island. The sound guy and his wife had a room and I did as well. Spartan accommodations but clean.
    [​IMG]

It's also a marina, they have a bar at the end of the dock and they have events all summer. This weekend was Halloween and they have a costume party on Saturday.
    People decorate their boats.
    [​IMG]

Marina all lit up. There are some huge yachts here. Some have a garage in the back that store a smaller boat. Some have baby boats on their decks.
    [​IMG]
    The crowd gets nuts, we put on a high energy show. They feed off of our energy and dance all day. Our sound guy DJ's between sets so the crowd always stays on the dance floor.
    [​IMG]
    We had cozies made up with our logo, in between sets I stood on the center sub and made the crowd jump to the music. Left side jump, right side jump, then I threw them cozies. Standing on the sub.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the crowd, I spend as much time there as on the stage. This bachelor party loved us, there were a bunch of bachelorette and bachelor parties there.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Need to keep hydrated.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Tons of crowd participation. (not sure if this vid will show up.)

Threw out t-shirts as well - people love free stuff, makes them fans for life, lol
    [​IMG]

That's 20. To be continued...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    SWRnut, BassCliff and mrcbass like this.
  2. I'm not seeing most of your photos.

3. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    Fixed. Here's some more.
    [​IMG]
    The people in blue were on some kind of bar crawl. Crawl the Block[​IMG]
    Oh this is the halloween party on end of the dock.
    [​IMG]
    Making friends, makes this bass player happy...
    [​IMG]

Sunday pre-gig clothes, we did not plan this - lol We really are in sync on and off the stage.
    [​IMG]

That's it, the band is really cracking right now and it was an awesome weekend.

SWRnut and BassCliff like this.
  4. City

City Supporting Member

5. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    Awesome! Thanks. @BassCliff created a great template and has set the bar.

6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @mpm32!

Wow! This is just too much fun! It seems that your trip to this gig is quite an adventure. I like the idea of staying at the venue and getting the full experience, plus taking your gig money home. ;)

Do you take a ferry from Rhode Island? That's quite a logistical nightmare to get you and all your gear there. But it looks like the party is worth it. Good show! :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  7. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    It is very fun. Yes the ferry is from Rhode Island. We meet early at Point Judith and load our stuff into the trailer with the PA. I had our drummers gear in my truck. He and a bunch of our fans (Pop Rockers - lol) take the high speed ferry from New London. We have a great following and they go everywhere for us. This year they had a big stage set up right on the beach for National acts. The owner told us we're playing there next year which will be awesome.

SWRnut, City and BassCliff like this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021