Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pop thumb thing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by red-hot-bassist, Nov 20, 2001.

1. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    last night, i was in my living room with my mum, she was watching Coronation Street and so made me turn off my amp, so i was playing my wee foxy fretless and lay it down flat on my lap (i had my legs crossed and was sitting on the floor). i slapped the E with my thumb and then sortof went under the string and then popped it with my thumb when bringing it back up.
    i was wondering if any of you had any idea what i am doing and if ytou kew for ways to make it better (i am guessing it has already been done by someone with waaay more talent than i have so i was wondering about it)
    did i make it clear what i did? probabaly now, but if you think you know what i mean, please help e out if you know anyone who plays like that or how to play like that better??

thnaks

2. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    a bassist by the name of Victor Wooten (sorry if i sound patronizing, not everyone's heard of him :oops:) has honed the technique you've discovered to a fine art - check out some of his stuff (he plays bass with a band called "Bela Fleck and The Flecktones" and does his own solo material as well) or his instructional videos, because he probably documents it somewhere along the lines.
    sorry i can't tell you exactly where to look :(

3. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    thnaks a lot el Tones, i have heard of wooten although only through buyiong the odd copy of bass player and hearing his name mentioned around here a few times, i shall try to see if i can find any of his music,

4. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    that's 'k :D one of his solo CDs is called "A Show Of Hands", as i recall, and if you have Morpheus (or a program which you can use to "share" (read: steal :p) mp3s over the internet, you can find heaps of his music with that.

bass on, sista.

~toebee :eek:

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    a good, clear demonstration of this is the beginning of vic wooten's classical thump...which is on "a show of hands" he plays the melody like once and then "double thumbed" like what you figured out, and then he takes it even farther by inserting a finger pluck immediately after the double thumb to do a triple pluck type technique. vic does almost everything with his thumb, so there are many other examples he demonstrates, but this is the most obvious. by the way...haven't heard from ya in a while! i was the guy that went to scotland last summer...'member me? :D

6. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    oh yeah....i remember, where abouts were you again?

7. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    oh yeah!! they navy guy!!!

my internet has been broken in my house for quite some time now, i use my schools,

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    heheh...yup...you remember me! lol :D i was in king's bay, georgia, over on the east coast of the US, but i've since transferred to the west coast 3000 miles away from my last duty station, and home :mad: oh well...i really enjoyed my trip to scotland. we were there for a week, checking out all of the other boats from like 14 different countries---it was the 100th anniversary of the uk's submarine force, and the USS Tennessee represented the US there. it was a real honour to be invited to HMNB Clyde...glasgow was awesome, as was edinburgh. i also got to go to galashiels while i was there to meet some family, whom i had never met before. it was great and the countryside there is really beautiful. i wanna go back. i have tons o' piccys and stuff. too bad i couldn't get in touch with any of you scots while i was over there. and i tried! it would've been cool to hang out and get to know my brethren and sistren :D from overseas. mebbe next time ;)

9. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    i'm glad you enoyed your time in scotland, did you get to the Cathouse while you were in glasgow?

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    nah...didn't get to the cathouse...i went to this place called the coyote bar or something like that...what a blast! and then there was the old clocktower outside of HMNB Clyde...and then a zillion pubs in edinburgh...awesome place

11. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    ..just out of interst which city did you prefer, glasgow or edinburgh??

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey...that's not a fair question! apples and oranges! apples and oranges! ;) actually, i liked glasgow better. edinburgh was fun and really cool, ya know...all the old architecture and stuff...but, hey, i'm a modern type kinda guy. besides, too many tourists in edinburgh...there's this one italian restaurant on the royal mile where the waiters can speak italian...that was really something awesome for an american to see...a scot speaking italian! man...what an experience. and did you know that scottish women can tell your american just by looking at your t-shirt? i swear to god! this one grrly put her hand on my chest and said...your american aren't you? i never said a word to her before...man, she was awesome...anyway...:D yeah, i liked glas better

13. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    most people say they like glasgow better, the people are waay friendlier!! edinburgh is a great old city though,