Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pop ups

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by alembic76407, Mar 9, 2005.

1. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    whats up with all the pop ups on TB , everytime I open TB I've been getting 5 pop ups, is this normal ?

2. Definitely not normal. I get no pop-ups at any time while browsing TB. Sounds like you have some spyware to remove.

3. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I don't get popups, but then I use Firebird and IE with XP SP2, so I really shouldn't get popups.

4. I've never gotten any popups on TB. Go get some spyware software such as Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    don't get any, and none at school where there aren't any popup blockers

try using spybot and firefox...

6. mozilla firefox. nuff said

7. seconded

8. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
  9. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Errr, I said firebird which I believe is an early version of mozilla. I did mean firefox :) I've been trying the new IE with the built in popup blocker. I still prefer tabbed browsing of firefox.

10. crikker

crikker Yooper From Way Back Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
  11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I like the new IE with the pop up blocker, although i do like tabbed browsing too. decisions decisions...

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
  13. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
  14. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    There are a couple of sites that I deal with that only work in IE. Other than those I use firebird.
    Since using Mozilla/Eudora, now Firebird/Thunderbird I have not had a virus. I've had a could of normal spyware like tracking cookies. Other than that I've been clean for about a year.

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Game Final:

visits to TalkBass: 6700+
    Pop-ups: 0

16. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...running spybot and Adaware will not solve 90% of spyware problems (they're tricky little buggers) and some trojans which Ad aware or Spybot will fix will also knock out your internet connection (ie winsock protocols) so after running the above mentioned programmes and if you find that you cant connect to the internet you need to run this programme

http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

(Windows XP ONLY..might work with Win2000..be sure to back up registry settings before you use it)

best of luck

Murf