POP when shutting down amp...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Nanny, Sep 17, 2005.

1. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I recently purchased a GK 1001RB-II. I knew of this problem when I bought it (used).

Whenever I shut off amp, there is an audible "POP". The only way to stop this is to reduce my master/woofer volume to zero. If the volume is up, this POP is VERY loud. I'm worried about my speakers...that someday, by accident or power failure, this amp will power down without my turning that woofer volume down.
    This can't be normal.

Anybody experience the same problem? Can it be fixed without mortgaging my house?

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    A power conditioner with a staged power up/down process might help to eliminate those potentially cone-damaging pops. It basically powers down each component individually by slowly reducing the current being supplied to each port.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Some amps just have an on/off transient pop. It's easy to fix. Turn your master gain all the way down before you turn the amp on or off.
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I had an SWR bass 350 head that popped something nasty when turning off. I found amp repair shop and they contacted the manufacturer and they told them to put, I THINK, a certain sized capacitor across the power switch inside.

cost me about $70 parts and labor
  5. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Hey, I've seen that done. It's not a big deal. It sucks that a shop charges that much for such a simple job. I believe that almost any capacitor will do as long as it's rated for the correct voltage.
  6. I had a SWR 350x head that had the same issue.

However, there was a bit in the SWR manual which explained that the 'pop' was nothing to worry about, and was a result of them not using a relay in their designs (since relays are prone to failure or something etc etc). They insisted the 'pop' would not damage anything (which I tend to believe, as a single, relatively high-frequency 'pop' is going to have trouble over-heating the speaker coil, or exceeding the Xmax of the speaker).

So.. yeah.. take from that what you will. I was careful to turn down everything before powering off. Probably a pretty good habit to get into anyway.

The SWR manuals are available online if you want to read it for yourself.
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I always turn my master, boost and woofer down on my RB700-II before turning it off. That really is your best bet.