Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pop when turning off Bass 350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PG, Jan 28, 2001.

1. PG

PG

Jan 28, 2001
    I just bought an SWR Bass 350. About half the time when I turn off the amp I get a pretty awful "pop."
    I've read a number of posts about a transient when powering on (I get that as well) but this is a much nastier sound.
    Anyone else have this problem? Solution?

Thanks.

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    In the owner's manual it says to expect a pop and not to worry about it. To keep the pop from happening SWR would need to put a relay in the amp, but because a relay diminishes sound quality they chose not to include one.

3. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I don't own an SWR amp, but I've been told when asked that the reason they pop when turned on/off is because they lack relays. Relays supposedly degrade the sound quality.

This doesn't really help you probably; but almost every amp that I've used gives off a slight pop when turned on as well as a louder one when turned off.

PH's post came in just as I posted this: listen to him, he knows what he's talking about.

4. PG

PG

Jan 28, 2001
    Thank you both.

5. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Yeah, that's a right nasty crack. Downright rude. Seeing as they are supposedly playable unspeakered, (aren't they?) maybe you could rig a convenient switch in-line with your speaker cable. That would save having to unplug the speakers everytime you want to switch on/off like what some other 350 users do. Or buy a Workingman's 300 with the speaker switch :) Oh yes, I am smug. Did you know the Workingman's series actually costs more to produce and spec out better than the Professional line but they sell more of them at that price point, justifying the lower margins? just kidding...

6. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I had a Bass 750 which also makes the pop sound when turned on.However there was no noise of any kind when switched off.You might want to check with them about the off pop.I dont think its normal.Good luck!

7. PG

PG

Jan 28, 2001
    I got a response from SWR tech support. They say it's probably a bad switch. I'll let you know how it turns out.

8. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    My WM15 often pops when shutdown, the manual says don't sweat it, its normal.

9. PG

PG

Jan 28, 2001
    It really does appear to be the switch.
    If I shut down from my power strip (Furman), no pop.

10. ServiceSWR

ServiceSWR

May 24, 2000
    The popping will not damage your speakers. Certainly if you are running direct out of the amp to the PA, you should warn the soundman before powering on and off. The 'on' pop is expected, while an 'off' pop should be minimal.

The reason your power strip seems to not let the amp pop is probably because it is a slow switch.

I have never come a cross a customer who has had any damage to his/her speakers due to the popping.

11. ServiceSWR

ServiceSWR

May 24, 2000
    By the way, I just talked to Furman and their pro series power strips/conditioners have built in relays...So thats why no pop...